"sugar" Frosting

Baking By lauralee422 Updated 7 Jul 2013 , 2:48am by bct806

lauralee422 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:53am
post #1 of 8

Hey talented ladies!  So, I had the mom of mom-to-be requesting a cake in 2 wks.  She said her daughter asked for a chocolate cake with "sugar" frosting.. she said her daughter is very easy to please, and is not too particular.  The flavor of cake and frosting were the only things they really gave me to go on.  I asked the mom "so, you mean just straight up buttercream frosting then?" and she said "I have no idea what she meant by sugar frosting".  I know the daughter and Id assume she would know what buttercream is called, so this made me curious.


Do any of you guys know of this?  Is this another way of saying buttercream?  They definitely do not want anything with eggs, because the older son had an allergic reaction to a meringue once...Any thoughts?

7 replies
bct806 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 1:06am
post #2 of 8

People call it different things. My husband's aunt wanted a cake for her son's birthday. She was adamant that she wanted lard frosting. I asked what she meant and that was all she would say. lol. She meant buttercream. Not sure what sugar frosting is. Maybe ask the daughter since the mother doesn't know. 

lauralee422 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 1:14am
post #3 of 8

HAHA you had me laughing "lard frosting"  HAHA!!  I would ask her but she's out of town on business until just before the baptism (prob why her mom is doing all the planning)

Stitches Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 1:26am
post #4 of 8

I think what they are referring to is frosting made with powdered sugar, butter (and or) shortening & vanilla. Some call it American butter cream. It's what most bakeries and all grocery stores use in the States. This generally appeals to children far more then a Swiss or Italian style butter cream which adults then prefer because it seems less sweet.


Verses a meringue based frosting that is 100% butter (always) lightened with a meringue and vanilla. That would be Swiss or Italian (referring the way the egg whites are cooked) butter cream and many Americans are not used to it and find it tastes too much like straight butter. Until the 90's mainly European bakeries use this type of frosting, now it's VERY commonly used.



liz at sugar Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 3:37am
post #5 of 8

I would have guessed a sprinkling of powdered sugar through a sieve in lieu of frosting.


I think you should clarify, because I have never heard the term "sugar frosting".



kakeladi Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 3:39am
post #6 of 8

You say you know the daughter, so can't you ask her?

As others have said, it could be almost anything :(  Doesn't help up much does it? 

lauralee422 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 11:39am
post #7 of 8

Thanks guys!  I do know the daughter but she's out of town and the mom wanted to take over planning.  When I asked her about filling, she said "just use the sugar frosting" so Im assuming she doesnt want just plain powdered sugar. 

bct806 Posted 7 Jul 2013 , 2:48am
post #8 of 8

Most people say buttercream is the sweetest of the frostings so I would think it would be buttercream. The only other kind I can think of is made with regular granulated sugar but I have never made it before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%