Glow In The Dark Fondant

Decorating By ladyt121 Updated 13 Feb 2016 , 3:54am by maybenot

ladyt121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyt121 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 13

Can I airbrush my fondant covered cake with tonic water to make it glow in the dark

12 replies
sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 13

hhhuuummm - might take more water and get too wet. It's the quinine that makes it glow. I wonder can you get from the pharmacist? Keep us informed whichever way you go.

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 3:51am
post #3 of 13

Do you want *glow in the dark* or *UV reactive*?

Theses aren't necessarily the same thing.....

And, the amount of Tonic Water - or any UV reactive pigment -  required to get a UV Reaction will depend on the amount of UV Wattage and how close that wattage is to the cake.

ladyt121 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 10:31am
post #4 of 13

the cake is done I sprayed it yesterday 2 times and I will spray it once more today before delivery but since I don't have a black light I cant tell if it glows or not the party host will inform me later if it worked I hope it does

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 13

we would be interested to know. keep up the good work!!

Sweet4SugarHigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet4SugarHigh Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 13

Regular white fondant glows best under black lights. ... I tested this out and the tonic water really didn't have much of an effect like I was looking for. You can use those edible glow in the dark body paints though and they glow in the darkand are food safe. :)

ladyt121 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 13

OK so it worked great after I airbrushed the cake I sprayed it with the tonic water about 4 separate times wait after each spray for it to dry and then sprayed it again I didn't get a picture because I didn't have a black light but the customer said it glowed thanks for your replies

penis cake with bar rings and beaded strap and of course cum coming out of the top the cake is French vanilla and yellow cake with white chocolate buttercream airbrushed tan coloring and airbrushed tonic water so it can glow in the dark

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 13

What the?? I was fully expecting to see something bachelorette related. I can't comprehend what goes through people's minds! "Yes, I'd like a glow in the dark penis cake for my birthday". Kudos to you for pulling it off!

ladyt121 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 13

thank you lol

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet4SugarHigh 

Regular white fondant glows best under black lights. ... I tested this out and the tonic water really didn't have much of an effect like I was looking for. You can use those edible glow in the dark body paints though and they glow in the darkand are food safe. :)

Yep. Edible glow in the dark body paints - those that I've seen are pretty much tinted piping gel.

The pigment load is pretty low, but they are a good choice.

Now, regular bodypaint..... that's a whole other thing.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 13

I actually saw this on Cake Boss the other day. They used edible glow in the dark body paint! They tried tonic water and it just didn't glow enough. Hit up the adult toy store! icon_lol.gif

wvfunchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wvfunchick Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 1:48am
post #12 of 13

Where do I find the edible glow in the dark paint?   The glow in the dark body paint I'm finding is toxic. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 3:54am
post #13 of 13

I've done some searching on the internet. 

There are edible body paints, but I haven't found ANY edible glow in the dark body paints.  There are "non-toxic" edible GITD body paints, but non-toxic items ARE NOT EDIBLE-ever.  Non-toxic is never used to describe something that can be eaten.

There are several articles about adding tonic water to colors to get them to glow under black light.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%