First Wedding Cake

Decorating By frogmuzik Updated 6 Jul 2013 , 1:05am by CWR41

frogmuzik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogmuzik Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 4:51am
post #1 of 6

I am desperate for advice.  I am doing my first Wedding cake.

4 tiered stacked on top with no pillars in between.  6/8/10/12.  6/white, 8/chocolate, 10/White, 12/Chocolate.  I have wooden dowels in each cake and plan on doing one down the middle of all of them.  Each cake is on 2 cake boards that are the same size except for bottom which is one 15inch board. All Buttercream icing.  Will transport and set up at event.

My questions are:

1. Can I do chocolate as bottom layer?  It seems like it may fall apart even with supports. 

2. When stacking them at the venue, is there a sure fire way that I can do so without an issue?

3. Can I practice before hand to make sure they don't buckle?

Please help as I don't want this to fall apart on me!  Thanks.

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 5:09am
post #2 of 6

AYou can do any flavor your want for any tier. The support system takes all the weight, not the cake.

The easiest way to stack and support your cake is with SPS.

A properly supported cake won't buckle.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by frogmuzik 
I have wooden dowels in each cake and plan on doing one down the middle of all of them.

Will transport and set up at event.

2. When stacking them at the venue, is there a sure fire way that I can do so without an issue?

A central dowel helps during transport and won't be necessary after stacking at venue.

frogmuzik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogmuzik Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 6

AI seen the sps system but not sure if I want to invest the $$ when I'm charging for supplies only. This is family friend. Do you have people return the plates etc?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 6

A

Original message sent by frogmuzik

I seen the sps system but not sure if I want to invest the $$ when I'm charging for supplies only. This is family friend. Do you have people return the plates etc?

Pass the cost of the SPS system on to your friend if you are concerned about spending the money.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmuzik 

I seen the sps system but not sure if I want to invest the $$ when I'm charging for supplies only. This is family friend. Do you have people return the plates etc?

It's affordable and disposable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%