Is There Edible Dust

Decorating By queenofdenile Updated 4 Jul 2013 , 11:38pm by LisaBerczel

queenofdenile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenofdenile Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I am looknig for edible dust? I love that pearl dust, but someone told me it is not edible. I want my cakes to have a shine, it looks great.icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 4

shimmer dust is perfectly edible. I wouldn't eat it by the spoonful but it is used on cakes all of the time

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, the pearl dusts by Crystal Colors (http://www.sugarpaste.com/catalog/orderPearlColors.htm) are FDA approved, edible, and kosher. 

Also, The SugarArt makes FDA approved edible dusts (1-800-555-1234)--I suggest calling them or contact thru Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/thesugarart?fref=ts) because their website is sorely lacking, but they're a great company.

Glad to see that you're looking to use the edible, food safe products!!

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 4

Short answer - depends.

The same *looking* product may be Edible, Cosmetic Grade, Non-Toxic or Craft depending on the supplier/seller/manufacturer.

Asking "is it edible" will possibly get you a different answer than "is it made of FDA Food Grade Ingredients". There is a train of thought that non-toxic is "edible". And, it probably is mostly sorta kinda. But, we are making health and safety decisions for Other People who.

There are times when we HAVE to use a non-toxic (cosmetic, craft, etc.) product in order to get *the look*. As opposed to defaulting to the (often) less expensive non-toxic grade because *its good enough*.

Read the label, keep asking the Smart Questions and filter the results with a pinch of common sense and all will be good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%