Will The Cake Rise?

Baking By Nalgh3 Updated 6 Jul 2013 , 12:17am by Nalgh3

Nalgh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nalgh3 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 7

This may sound a bit silly but I'm still not an expert at cake baking etc. I have a cake decorating class next week and I wanted to make a red velvet cake, the recipe I want to try uses oil and baking soda/vinegar mixture but no baking powder. Is it normal for it not to have baking powder and will it still rise?

Also the recipe calls for 3 eggs but that would make 10 cups of batter and all I need is about 5 cups so how do I deal with "halving" the egg content to make a smaller batch?

thank you, I appreciate any feedback as I would like to make the cake today and attempt the "freezing method" for the first time. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 7

ABaking powder is baking soda, cream of tartar, and starch. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Mixing baking soda and vinegar results in a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide bubbles that expand in oven temps and causes your cake to rise.

Nalgh3 Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 7

thank you very much :)

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 7

ANo problem

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 7

AYou can halve the eggs by weight using a kitchen scale or by volume or just use 2 eggs. Some purists would protest, but it'll be fine.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 7

All the info. given you so far is absolutely correct.

I just wanted to mention that it's not unusual for recipes to only have baking powder or only soda. It's good that your looking at these things, to learn.....but fear not.

Nalgh3 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 12:17am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for the responses!!!

I did make the cake and it rose extremely well!!! It's in the freezer so I haven't had a chance to taste yet but I really appreciate all the help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%