Problems With Cracking Mmf

Decorating By KellyM527 Updated 4 Jul 2013 , 1:34am by dawnybird

KellyM527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyM527 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 14

Has anyone else had problems with their MMF cracking? I find this happening (or is more pronounced) when the fondant is dyed a darker color, when rolled out, obvious hairline cracks are everywhere in the fondant. Sometimes it's so bad, I can hardly kneed it without it crumbling (and believe me, I've added TONS of water)..

icon_sad.gif

Help?!

Kelly

13 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 14

dark colors like deep reds and blues are really hard to get. Sometimes it helps if you color the marshmallows some before putting in the microwave, starting with pink marshmallows if you can find them or buying the red or blue candy melts and using modeling chocolate instead. Or just buy colored fondant (I HATE doing that!)

KellyM527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyM527 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 14

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! I'll try buying the colored marshmallows.  I've never made modeling chocolate before, but it's worth trying! Have you ever made fondant w/ glycerine?

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 14

nope...just PS, water and marshmallows. Sometimes tylose powder to stiffen it. Plus since I use the Wiltons or Merkens candy melts it is not technically modeling "chocolate" but it's much easier than real chocolate. Merkens has the dark blue, Wilton doesn't. 

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 14

If it's crumbly, it's too dry. Don't add more water, you only need a few teaspoons of water to help with the melting of the mm. You need to add crisco. Depending on the weather, anywhere from 1/4 c to 1/2 c. It'll give it some stretch and keep it from cracking so easily. For red, black, brown and dark blue, I always color the base color with candy melts. MMF shouldn't be too dry, it should feel like soft play-doh and needs to rest overnight before you roll it out. I have a tutorial on my blog. If you're interested, pm me and I'll send you the link. 

hth

icon_smile.gif

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 14

wow...I have never added crisco. Do you do that as you are making it or when you see it has become dry? I have thrown away many a batch

sixinarow Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 14

I grease my bowl that I melt my mm in with 1/4 c crisco, pour in the mm, sprinkle w water and microwave until the mm are melted. Then, after I knead in my ps, I coat the mmf in a thick layer of crisco, wrap twice with plastic wrap and let sit overnight (at least--if I've added coloring, I like to give it more than 24 hours for the color to develop) on the counter top. When I knead it before I roll it out, if it feels dry, I add in some more until it is nice and pliable. I just go on feel, but I've never had to throw a batch away! icon_smile.gif

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 14

Good to know! Thanks.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 11:18pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM527 

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! I'll try buying the colored marshmallows.  I've never made modeling chocolate before, but it's worth trying! Have you ever made fondant w/ glycerine?

I just made a batch with glycerine half an hour ago. I use Mac'sMom's Buttercream Flavored Fondant from the recipe section. After adding all the powdered sugar, I smeared the counter top with Crisco and smeared the top of the fondant blob with it, then kneaded it in. If felt like soft bread dough. Not sticky, not dry.

sixinarow Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird 

If felt like soft bread dough. Not sticky, not dry.

Exactly!! Did you like the that recipe. dawnybird? I have it in my favorites and want to try that one when the weather cools off..stinkin' humidity in the summer makes me switch to a white chocolate fondant recipe that holds up better. Miss my mmf...icon_cry.gif

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 12:24am
post #11 of 14

I have been having problems with my fondant sticking in my molds even if I heavily dust with corn starch. I'm making the bushel of crabs cake right now and my fondant is sticking...well this time I didn't really let it sit long enough...but lately even when I do it sticks. Must be humidity

sixinarow Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 12:27am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I have been having problems with my fondant sticking in my molds even if I heavily dust with corn starch. I'm making the bushel of crabs cake right now and my fondant is sticking...well this time I didn't really let it sit long enough...but lately even when I do it sticks. Must be humidity

When I use molds, I mix fondant with gumpaste (50/50), dust your fondant mixture instead of the mold with cornstarch, squish it in and stick it in the freezer for 15-20 min. Then Pop it out. It'll get soft again at room temp, but then harden overnight. Try it and see if it works for you. :)

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 12:45am
post #13 of 14

I did just see a video about putting it in the fridge. Don't have any gumpaste on hand...I just usually add tylose for figures. Gonna give it a try tomorrow with the freezer. Hope it doesnt take too long! I have about 8-10 large crabs one 1 mold...I have a small mold too so I will throw some of those in too.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 1:34am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Exactly!! Did you like the that recipe. dawnybird? I have it in my favorites and want to try that one when the weather cools off..stinkin' humidity in the summer makes me switch to a white chocolate fondant recipe that holds up better. Miss my mmf...icon_cry.gif

Yes, I love that recipe! I've used it many times and never ever had a problem. It tastes pretty good too! And easy to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%