Coconuts And Nut Allergys

Baking By smile22 Updated 3 Jul 2013 , 3:20pm by tdovewings

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 5

my mom is going to a party tomorow at her good friends house. my mom asked me if would make some cupcakes for her. we are doing my ice cream sundie ones chocolate cupcakes filled with a bittersweet ganache topped with a two toned vanilla marshmallow buttercream red white and blue sprinkles a cherry and chocolate fudge sauce.

i bought a jar of hersheys dark chocolate fudge sauce but when i got home it said one of the ingredience was hydroginated coconut oil. both my moms friend and one of her sons who will be at the party have a severe nut allergy.

im worried that they could be alergic to coconuts as well

does anyone have severe nut allergys on here or know anyone that does can they eat things with coconuts in them 

my best bet is i am going to have to return the fudge and get one that does not have coconut oil in it

4 replies
mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 5

AA friend of mine has a child with severe allergies, and he is allergic to coconut, but one nut allergy does not mean they have another. Is there any way you can just ask for a list of allergies? Or you could just make dark chocolate ganache, and then you would have hot fudge.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 5

AMost people when they have nut allergy they tend to have coconut and peanuts alergy to, not in all cases but jus to be safe don't use it ( my seven year old son have penut, tree nut and coconut allergy)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 5

ANeither coconuts nor peanuts are actually nuts, they are in the palm and legume families respectively. As said above you'll need to confirm what the allergies are, since some people with nut allergies are allergic to coconuts and/or peanuts as well. I'm allergic to tree nuts and peanuts but not coconut.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 5

Most of my customers are allergic to tree nuts or peanuts. Of the many customers I've had only one was allergic to coconut. Some avoid it, and some aren't concerned. Everyone is different.  I also have a peanut and tree nut allergy but I'm good with coconuts too.  You really just need to ask if it is okay, most are thankful that you do ask.

It is super confusing since the FDA has recently declared coconut to be a nut when the scientific community considers it a palm fruit. I asked our allergist what she tells her patients about coconuts, and she often tells them there is no reason to avoid them unless they have had a reaction. She said if a patient is concerned about coconut allergy she will test, but coconut allergy is much rarer than any of the top eight. She also says some of her colleagues have decided to tell their patients to avoid coconut as a general rule even though they think it is safe, because so many people don't read the full label, just the allergen statement. It is a contentious subject in the allergy community. 

Bottom line....ASK! I ask everyone single one of my clients about coconut because I use it since we don't use dairy and rarely soy. I have left soy as an option in case of coconut allergy. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%