Butterceam And Ganache Underneath Fondant?

Decorating By KateCoughlin Updated 2 Jul 2013 , 8:56pm by KateCoughlin

KateCoughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateCoughlin Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 3

Hi All,

I have a request to make a snickers cake decorated like the Captain America shield (see pic) for a birthday party next weekend.  I found a recipe (listed below) for a snickers cake that consists of chocolate cake; nougat filling; frosted in caramel buttercream and then covered with milk chocolate ganache.  My question is - can I cover this cake with an additional layer of fondant?  Has anyone ever used BOTH buttercream and ganache underneath fondant?  My fear is the buttercream (50/50 butter and cream cheese) will  breakdown and seep through and/or soften the ganache which will ruin the fondant.  I think I will substitute HR shortening for the cream cheese to help prevent issues with moisture (leakage or softening).  For those of you who have a lot of experience covering cakes in fondant do you think this cake/filling can hold up from the weight of buttercream/ganache/fondant.  I want to adapt this recipe to create a three-layer 10" cake about 4" tall.  I plan on assembling and frosting the cake well in advance so it can chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.  I would then apply the ganache shell and let that setup at room temperature.  (Assuming it's okay to cover a well-chilled and frosted cake with ganache?)  By the time I cover it all with fondant the cake should be cool but no longer chilled throughout. It is hot and humid here so I will use a cardboard box to absorb moisture once the cake is complete and being refrigerated.  I'd be too afraid to let this cake sit out at room temperature. 

Let me know what you think.  Thank you!

Cake
2½ cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup + 1 tablespoon Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1½ cups buttermilk, at room temperature
1½ cups strong black coffee, hot
¾ cup vegetable oil
4½ teaspoons vanilla extract

Nougat Filling:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup evaporated milk
1½ cups marshmallow fluff
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups salted peanuts, roughly chopped

Caramel Buttercream Frosting:
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature (will sub HR shortening)
¼ cup salted caramel sauce
2 cups powdered sugar

Ganache:
8 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
4 ounces (½ cup) heavy cream

2 replies
lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 3

i think it depends a bit on how well you work with fondant and how thinly you can roll it out and smooth it.  If you can work with a good-quality fondant that is thin, then it may work, but if your fondant is closer to the 3/8 to 1/4" thick then that is probably going to cause troubles. 

I suggest to either alternate the nougat filling with the buttercream or double fill a layer of nougat with a layer of the caramel buttercream.  I would split each cake so that there would be four layers of cake with three layers of filling.  I would also use all butter for the buttercream so that it chills hard, and perhaps use that on the top of the cake. fill and chill the cake hard, then use the ganache to totally frost and encase the cake.  A fully ganached cake is a DREAM to cover in fondant.  You may want to research 'ganache under fondant' to see what i mean.  You will need more ganache than in that recipe, but a good weight ratio to get a spreadable consistency is 2:1 chocolate to heavy cream (say 16 oz dark chocolate to 8 oz of heavy cream), then let it sit overnight to firm up to peanut butter consistency. 

you still get all the flavors and components, but in a way that will super great under fondant. 

KateCoughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateCoughlin Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much lorieleann.  As soon as I posted this question the same idea popped in my head.  Why bother frosting and ganach'ing the entire outside of the cake!  I can easily use the buttercream as a filling layer instead.  I will do as you suggested and make a four layer cake - maybe going with a buttercream/nougat/buttercream alternate.  Thank you for also pointing out that an all-butter buttercream which harden best.  That will definitely give me peace of mind.  I've never covered a ganache'd cake in MMF but I have read plenty of rave reviews about it here on CC.  To be safe I will triple the ganache recipe (24oz choc/12oz cream) so there is plenty to cover the cake.  Thanks again for all your input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%