Wedding Cake Gift

Decorating By BatterUpCake Updated 2 Jul 2013 , 3:22pm by BatterUpCake

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 9

A very dear friend wants a cake similar to the one attached. I am doing her cake as a gift with her buying all of the supplies because I love her dearly. However I told her this cake is too extravagant as a gift...lol. I don't love her THAT much. So we are figuring ways to tone it down. She is going to use silk flowers...she doesn't need that much cake so it is going to be 4 tiers with the bottom being a dummy.

Opinions,,,should I eliminate the second from the top or the middle tier? It looks like the fondant in the middle tier is tooled to get that look, do you agree? Lace molds are expensive so she asked if there is another way to get a similar look or cheaper molds that she can order. I was thinking the Wilton molds have some nice designs.....

Since she is paying I figured I would buy the fondant rather than making it. How much Satin Ice would it take to cover the base, a 12", 10", 8" & 6" each being 4 " high?

The wedding is 4 states away, so I won't be getting any orders from this but will get more experience and internet feedback...

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 9

There's nothing attached.

The satin Ice website has a fondant calculator.  www.satinfinefoods.com

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 9

AHere is a coverage chart for Satin Ice. http://www.******************/saicecoch.html

You picture did not appear.

BatterUpCake Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 9

The page is freezing whenever I try to post a pic! Grrrrr. Found the fondant calculator. Thanks! http://pinterest.com/source/makiscakes.exblog.jp/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 9

The embellishments look like a CK model, or a part of one.  Not that expensive and reasonably easy to use.  Plus piping.  Not sure what you mean by "tooling."  Well, I do know what tooling means, I just don't see any of that on the cake.  Gathered fondant, yes.

BatterUpCake Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 9

When I looked close at the fondant I thought it looked more like they marked it to appear gathered rather than actually gathering it?? I will look for those molds. Thanks

BatterUpCake Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 9

good eye Leah!!! I found the mold and it was only $17!!! She is going to be thrilled!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 9

The fondant wrapped around the third tier definitely looks tooled to me. Like they cut the piece of fondant and then used a small sharp knife (x-acto) or something similar to cut the texture into the fondant. 

BatterUpCake Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 9

I think I will keep that tier and get rid of second one down...that way every tier will be different. I sent her alist of items to order. We will see how proactive she is (how badly she wants the cake) I just had a bride cancel on me this morning, after I went ad got color swatches and did some other work. From now on I will force myself to wait until I get a deposit. It's hard for me because it's so fun I can't wait to start but then I get resentful when this happens. I have no one but myself to blame!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%