Has Anyone Tried This Method...

Decorating By beckybakes617 Updated 3 Jul 2013 , 10:11am by beckybakes617

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 11:43am
post #1 of 8

...of achieving the perfect edges on a cake but with butter cream instead of the ganache, I've become accustomed to this method and it's always worked well for me, but have never tried it with butter cream?

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/11/04/how-to-make-a-two-tier-wedding-cake-with-faye-cahill/

Thank you :)

7 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 8

i imagine it would work the same as long as you got a good chill on the BC before removing the top. I use IMBC and with all the butter it gets quite hard in the fridge.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybakes617 

...of achieving the perfect edges on a cake but with butter cream instead of the ganache, I've become accustomed to this method and it's always worked well for me, but have never tried it with butter cream?

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/11/04/how-to-make-a-two-tier-wedding-cake-with-faye-cahill/

Thank you :)

Interesting. I think I saw this on Pinterest. I have never done it but I would think you could do it with buttercream as long as the buttercream is crusted and cold but the upside down method works just as well.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 8

I've never found the need to use a cake board on the top. I just use my flat scrapper around the sides and make sure that I keep it at a right (90 degree) angle. I'm not sure the top would slide off as neatly using BC as it would the ganache. but then again...don't knock it til you try it, right?

mmills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmills Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 8

Have you tried the Viva Paper Towel method? Works wonders and makes all edges soft and smooth!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 8

It works with the butter-based buttercreams, like Italian and Swiss.

See at the bottom of this post. littlemissbakesalot uses Swiss.

http://cakecentral.com/t/717093/baffled-how-do-the-aussies-do-it

Richard Festen also uses swiss and he can get those edges very sharp.

I like Faye Cahill's method with two boards better because you don't have to flip the cakes, which would be scary for me.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:40am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmills 

Have you tried the Viva Paper Towel method? Works wonders and makes all edges soft and smooth!

Agreed! That is the method I use. Viva, then paper. Works like a charm.

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 10:11am
post #8 of 8

Thank you for your replies :)

I have never used the viva method but have read good reviews of it. However, I'm not keen on trying it out just yet. I've contacted littlemissbakesalot for some help, thank you for directing me to this user, I saw the cake they'd created and it was fantastic, hopefully they'll give me a few tips. :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%