Decorating By CrankyBakes Updated 1 Aug 2013 , 9:16am by debidehm

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 3:08pm
post #31 of 46

Mmmmm...floor cake is my favorite!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 3:37pm
post #32 of 46

Batterup, you made me chuckle. Way back in "the day" when I was single and living in an apt. , I baked a big birthday cake for the boys next door. Walking over to deliver it, it dropped to the concrete sidewalk. (Yeah, I dropped it.) Good nature saved the day for they brought out a candle, stuck it in the mess on the walk and we sang happy birthday while picking off the top layer! Yup. Floor cake never tasted so good.

Sorry for hijacking, now back to the mystery....

Jan

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 6:18pm
post #33 of 46

I'd say that the cake was jostled or nearly dropped on the way to the table and the top three tiers slid off.  The remaining cake was placed on the table, a trash bag placed in the trash can and a lot of the remaining top tier thrown in the can to try and conceal what really happened. 

Good googly moogly - can you imagine the language spouted after this catastrophe?  Probably some temporary staff trying to cover their behinds by stating that the table wasn't sturdy enough.

Doesn't really matter what happened - can't turn back the hands of time.  Great looking cake, great save and great that you have pictures so the bride and groom can laugh about it......in about 30 years.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 6:35pm
post #34 of 46

A

Original message sent by JohnnyCakes1966

I don't think the top tiers fell off like a tree falls (top first), which would have made it land as you describe. I think they slid off starting at the bottom, which would cause them to end up in this position. Still, it's strange that in the 1st and 2nd pics, the cake is on the same table, which even looks to be in the same spot. And that must have been a huge layer of "repair" cake to replace nearly half of that tier...unless they used some of the cake on the floor. Who knows? Do you all bake an extra layer ahead of time for repairs?

No. Baking extra tiers is costly in time and money.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 6:37pm
post #35 of 46

I agree about the emergency kit. It's an absolute must. But it has never occurred to me to take an extra cake. Do bakers regularly do this? And, what do you do with a cake that has been on a road trip if it isn't needed for repairs?

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 6:42pm
post #36 of 46

Well and besides having an extra cake to deal with for the 99.999999999% chance that everything will go fine (again, assuming you aren't a Cake Wrecker and you know about internal structure), say you make that extra emergency cake. What size do you make it? Do you make a "backup" for every single tier, since you don't know which  tier is going to kick the bucket?

You certainly can't just replace a 6 inch tier with a backup 10 inch, without the design becoming an unplanned wonky design.

Patrickrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Patrickrock Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 9:12am
post #37 of 46

Impressive pictures.....

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 4:12pm
post #38 of 46

Oh, man! That's a nightmare! Great fix, though! I don't ever have any extra cakes baked.  I make sure my cakes are sturdy, stable, and moveable before doing any delivering or moving at all.   I'm paranoid about any mishaps happening  under my watch.  I do use the SPS supports and I've never had an issue, or not yet anyway!

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:00am
post #39 of 46

I realize this post is old - but I wanted to add - the flowers (esp at the bottom) are no more open in the put back together pic than they are in the first pic - letting lilies set for that period of time - wouldn't they open up more?

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:43am
post #40 of 46

A

Original message sent by Sun11598

I realize this post is old - but I wanted to add - the flowers (esp at the bottom) are no more open in the put back together pic than they are in the first pic - letting lilies set for that period of time - wouldn't they open up more?

I would think they are fake. My favorite flowers are stargazer lilies. The pollen is a total mess. I wouldn't put it anywhere near a cake.

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 1:53am
post #41 of 46

Good point...didn't consider they could be artificial...

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 2:27am
post #42 of 46

AYou know, the lilies are closed. I would think they are real for that fact alone, be ause if you made them, wouldn't you make more of them open? The open ones are the most beautiful, the closed are for variety and realness.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 2:35am
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct806 

I would think they are fake. My favorite flowers are stargazer lilies. The pollen is a total mess. I wouldn't put it anywhere near a cake.

You can pull off the little pollen dohickeys before you put them on the cake :)

Most florists do that in arrangements anyway

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 2:43am
post #44 of 46

I've seen my sister battle with closed lilies that her supplier has sent. (florist, lol)

If they aren't ready to open, and stored in a cool spot, they will stay closed for a few days, easily.

The ones in the picture are definitely real, I would just assume the floral supplier only supplied closed ones, if they were gumpaste we'd see lily bits all over the floor, lol.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 3:26am
post #45 of 46

APollen doohickies made me laugh. I didn't really think of that. Never put real flowers on a cake personally. A two hour car ride with them taught me that pollen isn't my friend.

Original message sent by KoryAK

You can pull off the little pollen dohickeys before you put them on the cake :) Most florists do that in arrangements anyway

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 1 Aug 2013 , 9:16am
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s 

Also, if the top three tiers fell off toward the right, why are they lying top tier left to bottom tier right  on the floor?  Wouldn't they fall so that the top tier would be to the right in the picture?  And how is there no cake debris on the table or table leg?  

Not unless the cake was actually on another table that was the wonky table the OP mentioned (and maybe it was to the right of the fallen cake) and moved back to the table shown in the picture. The first picture showed the cake on a little round table...then in the second and third picture it's back on the same table. Maybe once the cake was put on the wonky table, it fell then maybe they moved it back to the table pictured because it was sturdy. Who knows...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%