Where Can I Find The Wire Gauge?

Decorating By Kosha Updated 1 Jul 2013 , 9:12pm by hbquikcomjamesl

Kosha Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 5


I'm looking for a straight wire gauge (white colored) that I can use to put stars and other decorations popping out of cake. Something like this:




Where can I buy this?


I looked at Michaels but they have the silver and bronze colored wires and those too are coiled/rounded and not so straight. Please help, I need this today.

Thank you.


4 replies
shanter Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 5

Electrical wire comes in white; check a hardware store. I don't know the gauge it comes in. However, DO NOT stick this wire directly into the cake because it is not food-safe. Use small straws or the teeny ones you stir coffee with, plug the end with fondant or melted chocolate, and insert the wire into the straw.


Read the first few pages (or more) of this:



Also, if it is available where you are, Japanese mizuhiki wire (or cord) (paper-covered wire) comes in white. Also use a straw with that as it is not food-safe.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 5

"Wire gauge" (non-countable) is the measurement of a wire's diameter.

"A wire gauge" (countable) is a tool used to measure a wire's diameter.


I can't imagine how either could be what it is you're looking for.

shanter Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 5

I'm sure Kosha just meant "wire."

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 5

In which case, I highly recommend the "For those who stick wires . . ." thread. And I reiterate that unless wires are explicitly marked as food-safe, or they're specifically intended (e.g., wire skewers, as in a turkey lacing kit) for insertion into food, or they're intended for orthodontic or surgical use, wires should always be assumed to be non-food-safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%