Make Modelling Chocolate Shiny?

Decorating By Milliamo Updated 2 Jul 2013 , 8:09am by Milliamo

Milliamo Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 11:14am
post #1 of 7

Please help!  I need to make modelling chocolate look like patent leather.  I have tried vodka as this was suggested by lots of people, but it just dried it out and didn't look shiny at all - what am I doing wrong?!

Is there a sneaky secret as to when/how much you put on etc?

Any help advice very much appreciated!

Thank you!

6 replies
Crazy-Gray Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 11:44am
post #2 of 7

a small amount of flavourless cooking oil might work better, I tend to use shellac based 'edible varnish' for a good shine but a little oil is good in a pinch :-)

WickedGoodies Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 7

For a shiny look, try brushing on pearl dust (heavier shine) or white sparkle (lighter shine) with a blush brush while the modelling chocolate is still dry.

Stitches Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 7

If you roll it out on saran wrap or acetate it's will have that shine.

keepingitreal21 Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 7

Confectioner's Glaze works like a dream for shine.

ChocolateCraftKits Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 7

Hi !

I have been making and selling modeling chocolate since 1991

after you roll out the modeling chocolate warm it to bring out the oils.  The oil or cocoa butter is what will make it shine - you can use the bottom of your palm and make a circular motion to "rub" the chocolate sheet before cutting or shaping.  If you are making figures, begin with a simple shape that is warm on the outside as well.

Modeling chocolate can be made to shine so that it will blend in with tempered chocolate pieces in a sculpture -

Good luck

Peggy Alter

Milliamo Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 8:09am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your advice!  Shall definitely be giving these tricks and tips a go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%