Client Never Paid For Cake...

Business By BellaSweet Updated 2 Jul 2013 , 8:58pm by SystemMod1

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 8:35pm
post #31 of 33

AFor there to be a crime (fraud), doesn't there need to be a vIctim? You are not converting funds if you are cashing a check made out to you (or your dba). I am now married and changed my name, but I have gotten checks with my maiden name. I make the correction on the check and deposit it. Is that fraud?

There is the letter of the law and the SPIRIT of the law. It would be hard to prosecute someone for cashing a check made out to them.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 8:45pm
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

There is the letter of the law and the SPIRIT of the law. It would be hard to prosecute someone for cashing a check made out to them.

I agree with you, however, she said

Quote:
I'd add my name to it (trying to make it look like her handwriting in the same color ink)

this is delliberately trying to decieve one of the parties, in this case the bank. What will her defence be if the client files a complaint with the bank? The bank will take steps against her for fraud, Im sure!

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 8:58pm
post #33 of 33

Members, thank you for your participation in this thread.  It has obviously steered off course based on extremely illegal advice posted by another member.  Although those posts have been flagged for removal, I am leaving them up but locking the thread to further debate since there is no debate here, only calling out the bad advice.

Again, thank you for your participation. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%