Exhausted! I Have A Cake Due Tomorrow And My Buttercream Isn't Crusting

Decorating By Smckinney07 Updated 30 Jun 2013 , 1:55pm by ddaigle

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 9:45am
post #1 of 4

AWhen I started decorating I used ganache or crusting buttercream, I have a cake that's due tomorrow they didn't want fondant and with the long delivery I decided to use 'Debbie Does Cakes' crusting buttercream (which I've used many times with success). I'm so tired! But I'm worried if I go to sleep they will crust too hard. I've read that it takes longer to crust when the cake is cold. I've crumb coated and iced both tiers to my cake and it's been almost two hours lol and it's slowly beginning to crust just now...the color was so difficult to achieve originally or I would have scraped it all and made a different type of buttercream. I'm curious if the massive amounts of coloring might be the culprit-but I thought all that was necessary to crust was a higher fat content... This buttercream is weird, it is trying to crust so I've had a heck of a time simply trying to scrape the sides, it just won't quite get there. Weird right?!

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 11:14am
post #2 of 4

AWhat's necessary for crusting is a higher SUGAR content, not fat content. It sounds like you perhaps made a noncrusting bc with the higher fat content.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 4

AThat's what I meant, I was in my late night baking daze lol. I had read another thread that had people arguing that it was Meringue Powder (which I've never used-but acts as a stabilizer?) and other theories that make it crust. I prefer ganache (but not everyone enjoys chocolate as much as I) or Swiss Meringue but the recipe I used has produced nice results for me in the past that's why I was so confused! Im hoping it still looks ok, I should have went with my first instincts and used all butter, that I was more familiar with but we live and learn! Thank you for your help!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 4

Meringue powder does not make bc crust or "stabilize" it..though some people swear it does.  As Leah said..it's the sugar to fat ratio that gives you the crust.    Meringue powder is for royal icing...does nothing for butter cream. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%