Help With Border Please!

Decorating By AngRose Updated 2 Jul 2013 , 1:26am by ericapraga

AngRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngRose Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:40am
post #1 of 18

I would like some direction on how to make the border around this photo. I am not positive how to do it. Any help or links for help would be greatly appreciated.  - Ang

17 replies
ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:52am
post #2 of 18

Looks like they did a build-up using shells. If you look toward the top corner of the cake, you can see the backside of the border. It looks like several small shell shapes, building to a larger, elongated shell. Then it looks like they piped small, close together wiggles on the top ridge of the topmost shell.

I know that is not the most technical, but I hope it might help.

ohsugarsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohsugarsweets Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 3:52am
post #3 of 18

I think craftsy just posted a class. 

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:36am
post #4 of 18

This looks similar:

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 5:25am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngRose 

I would like some direction on how to make the border around this photo. I am not positive how to do it. Any help or links for help would be greatly appreciated.  - Ang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots 

This looks similar:

That is so different! I might have to try that out

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 18

I believe it's called overpiping.

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 18

AI think there was a tutorial here on cakecentral on something similar recently. If you choose blog from the menu at the top and then scroll down you should find it!

ericapraga Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 18

Over-piping! Thank you, that was killing me, I couldn't remember what it was called! Ronald Winbeckler has a pretty good craftsy class on piping borders that covers it really well. That is where I remember seeing the technique from.

AngRose Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:16am
post #9 of 18

THANK YOU everyone! for your responses.  I Googled overpiping and found the YouTube video of something similar and I believe it may be the same one that was just posted on Cake Central!  Awesome timing thumbs_up.gif  Thanks again for your help!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:19am
post #10 of 18

AA-hem...Roland Winbeckler ;-)

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:23am
post #11 of 18

AYep I was going to post the same video.

AngRose Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:24am
post #12 of 18

Thanks for the link.  This does look really close.  I may be able to figure out something similar between this and the tutorial.  Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

AngRose Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:26am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots 

This looks similar:

This does look similar.  Thank you for posting.  Between this and the tutorial I may be able to figure it out icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!

ericapraga Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 1:33am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

A-hem...Roland Winbeckler icon_wink.gif

I was close! :)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 4:14am
post #15 of 18

A

Original message sent by ericapraga

[QUOTE name="Annabakescakes" url="/t/760384/help-with-border-please#post_7410051"] A-hem...Roland Winbeckler :wink: [/QUOTE]

I was close! :)

Yes, you were!

I just love that couple! They are both immensely talented artists, I just wonder why they chose food as their medium of choice and continue to use all shortening and artificial flavor... bleh! Part of the art is its edibility and deliciousness, IMHO. Yes, the Mona Lisa is grand, but you can't eat it. I feel the same way about their cakes, after they posted their icing tutorial. I feel like they have been lying to me, lol.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 18

What type of buttercream do you use? I am in FL and I have a hard time with the humidity melting mine...

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 4:34pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie93095 

What type of buttercream do you use? I am in FL and I have a hard time with the humidity melting mine...

I believe it's usually done with royal icing. A fabulous book about piping is The Art of Royal Icing by Eddie Spence. If you decide to get it, know that prices flucuate wildly. Keep an eye on Amazon (outside sellers) and Abe Books.

http://cakecentral.com/t/749165/has-anyone-bought-the-art-of-royal-icing-by-eddie-spence

ericapraga Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 1:26am
post #18 of 18

I double up the flavoring that their recipe calls for, and def use hi-ratio shortening, and it is really hard to tell the difference between all butter and all-shortening buttercream. At least for me. There is no greasy aftertaste, and with the extra butter flavor, it has the same flavor complex as all-butter. At least to me!

My only issue is that the color leaches out of the all-shortening if I let it sit too long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%