Sculpted Cake Help

Decorating By anackerman Updated 29 Jun 2013 , 8:34pm by auntginn

anackerman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anackerman Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 4

AHi everyone! I'm wanting to attmpt my first sculpted cake and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I know NOTHING about it. I've seen a few posts in the forum and articles around the web, but nothing really that tells me how to get started. Everything I have found is just tutorials on a specific piece. I'd like info on what type of cake to use, freeze or no freeze, tools, etc. Just needing some basic info to point me in the right direction...if you can help me out I'd really really REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!!

3 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

My first thought was to point you in the direction of the craftsy classes, but reading thru I understand better what you want.  There still are a lot of threads and the tutorials will help you understand regardless of what the project is.

What cake to use:  I like using the WASC for carving, or any of the extruder recipes. I have also seen on other threads ppls comments about pound cakes being good.

Should you freeze? Yes, cold frozen cakes might be a little on the hard side but they hold up while carving AND use a good serrated knife to carve with using a sawing motion go back and forth the area you are working.

I also invested in crafting tools as opposed to the fondant crafting tools.  The same tool you would find for crafting fondant/gumpaste but used for modeling clay.  They are usually made sturdier not with plastic.

Find the fondant and gumpaste you like whether its a recipe or pre-made, ready to use.  We all have our preferences.

In carving you usually need a good sturdy base.  I use my hardware store to help me.  They will but my boards and dowels to size and shape.  For the shape I have to take the pattern in actual size.  Their helpful to me in that way.  But some shapes you can just use rounds and squares to fit.

HTH

anackerman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anackerman Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 4

AThank you!! I really appreciate your thoughtful response. I think I'm gonna still check out craftsy classes for future and expanding my cake hobby (ok...obsession!) but you gave me a great starting point. I there a specific serrated knife that you recommend?

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 4

Your welcome, and no any good sharp knife will do.  I have 2 sizes.  and 8" to cut into smaller areas for the details and a large one to cut larger sections.

I also carve fruit and those carving tools are awesome on cakes.  If you have a local supplier that sells to kitchen ware to the industry you can find these tools, if not look on ebay or amazon for them.

And I forgot about paintbrushes, lusters and petal dusts, vodka.  The brushes you can get nice ones from a craft store such as Michaels.  These items will give your projects life.

Feel free to ask for anyhelp, thats what we are here for. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%