To Refridgerate Or Not To Refridgerate ??

Decorating By thecakestop Updated 29 Jun 2013 , 6:23am by thecakestop

thecakestop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestop Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 2:25am
post #1 of 4

AI need help....every time I make a cake I face the same dilemma...if it is a straight forward American buttercream cake filled and frosted..I know what to do. However living in the Houston Texas climate, when clients ask for whipped fillings or mousses or cream cheese frostings...I begin to go back and forth. Everyone wants the clean finished look of fondant paired with these tasty different fillings...so how do you do all the elaborate fondant work and then put it in the fridge.?...when it comes out, the fondant is soft and collapses. On the other hand if I don't put it in the fridge....the fillings are such that cannot be left out for a long period of time?? Am I to just wait umtill right before delivery....and then rush to put all the fondant on? There has to be a better way... Help!!!....I need to know I'm not the only crazy person facing this....please let me know how you get around this!! Thank you Zahra.The Cake Stop

3 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 3:26am
post #2 of 4

I think most of us put our fondant covered cakes in the refrigerator. Those that don't are rare, or they don't because the fondant has royal icing on it.

If your fondant is melting from refrigeration then you need to look into a couple things;

1. Your cooler produces too much humidity. It's possible your opening it too much, it's possible it needs some repair or maintenance, or your room is too hot and the cooler can't keep up.

2. Place your cake in a cardboard box to protect if from all the humidity in your cooler.

3. Buy different fondant. I'm tired so the name is eluding me, there is a fondant for the tropics called something like Carma Massa Tincio. It works great.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 3:42am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitches 

I think most of us put our fondant covered cakes in the refrigerator. Those that don't are rare, or they don't because the fondant has royal icing on it.

If your fondant is melting from refrigeration then you need to look into a couple things;

1. Your cooler produces too much humidity. It's possible your opening it too much, it's possible it needs some repair or maintenance, or your room is too hot and the cooler can't keep up.

2. Place your cake in a cardboard box to protect if from all the humidity in your cooler.

3. Buy different fondant. I'm tired so the name is eluding me, there is a fondant for the tropics called something like Carma Massa Tincio. It works great.

ticcino :) I'm certainly not in the tropics, but it is the only pre-made I will touch, amazing stuff!!

I refrigerate almost all my fondant cakes, and I use Carma on most of them, never had a problem with it.

thecakestop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestop Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 6:23am
post #4 of 4

AThank you both....I will definateley try checking the fridge and using a cardboard box....but I am quite happy win my fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%