Small Pastries

Lounge By kaylawaylalayla Updated 5 Jul 2013 , 2:17am by kaylawaylalayla

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 12:39am
post #31 of 56

AYou will have to show us pics liz when it is done! And yes anba, I have a craving for all types of macaroons now

kaylawaylalayla Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:40am
post #32 of 56

AIts really hard for me at least to come up with a macaroon that hasn't been done.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:04am
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

Wow scrumdiddly, I didn't see that post yesterday but that sounds awesome! I bet an ube macaron is very pretty too. Now I need to find a good recipe for bekeloy!
What city do you live in or by if you don't mind me asking

I'm in between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

Its really hard for me at least to come up with a macaroon that hasn't been done.

I've given up, I made a sriracha one, felt so original... til I googled it.

Really though, as far as customers are concerned even just a plain macaron is kind of 'out there', jazz it up just a little, and you're golden.

I make 'candy bar' ones, with peanut flour, ganache and salted caramel. People go crazy over them, honestly they could taste like crap and people would buy them anyway. (pinterest has done amazing things for macaron sales!)

kaylawaylalayla Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:12am
post #34 of 56

AYeah any macaroon tonmy small townnwould be mind blowing lol. I still like the ube one. And I saw some pandan ones too. Such pretty colors

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 1:30pm
post #35 of 56

AI love éclairs and cream puffs, but I like them to have real cream in, not that nasty yellow custard they have in here. I grew up eating them on vacation in France so I know what they're supposed to taste like!

kaylawaylalayla Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:16pm
post #36 of 56

AYou mean pastry cream? And whipped cream?

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:18pm
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

I love éclairs and cream puffs, but I like them to have real cream in, not that nasty yellow custard they have in here. I grew up eating them on vacation in France so I know what they're supposed to taste like!

Agree. I haven't had them in France, but my grandmother made incredible pastries -- I wish I had her recipes!!

kaylawaylalayla Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:22pm
post #38 of 56

AI definetly prefer pastry cream

kaylawaylalayla Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:23pm
post #39 of 56

AMaybe you are having pastry cream from a mix? And I thought that that was the traditional filling for eclairs, maybe they used a diplomat?

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:27pm
post #40 of 56

Not sure but it wasn't tasty!!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:47pm
post #41 of 56

AAny time I ate éclairs or profiteroles in France they had real whipped cream in them. You could get them with pastry cream too, but it wasn't like the stuff I've had in them here.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 4:54pm
post #42 of 56

AI see, lol

annabananana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabananana Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 12:29am
post #43 of 56

AWhat is that weird gloppy stuffthat is in an eclair? It is yellowish and tastes like crap. Coats your mouth and has a bad aftertaste.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 12:35am
post #44 of 56

AI thought it was pastry cream.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 12:57am
post #45 of 56

yeah, you guys are definitely not having good pastry cream. or good eclairs seems like.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:00am
post #46 of 56

either that or I am in shock that people don't like pastry cream.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:01am
post #47 of 56

Cheap eclairs/cream puffs often have this pre-made yellowish whipped substance, it leaves a greasy feel in your mouth and has no specific taste. It's common to find those in grocery stores or bakeries that don't know the first thing about choux pastries.

It comes in cartons, much like 'bettercreme' and 'frostin pride'.

Both whipped cream and pastry cream are proper fillings, it's up to personal preference.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:03am
post #48 of 56

well that explains it

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:32am
post #49 of 56

AI really like pastry cream... When I make it. My mom worked at a bakery years ago, and they used 'pastry cream' out of a tub or something. It was a little gnarly. I totally get what you mean about the texture and coating your mouth.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:53am
post #50 of 56

I saw a thing on pinterest the other day called 'easy peasy pastry cream', they whipped cool whip, pudding mix and a bit of milk together.

Things like that are why a lot of people think pastry cream is gross, lol.

I did think of another really popular pastry though, raspberry napoleons. They're another, 'must be made fresh' thing, but we would put them on the menu during raspberry season, and sell out everyday, so yummy.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 2:06am
post #51 of 56

I think the worst filling is the eclairs that have what tastes like frosting inside them. Blech! 

kaylawaylalayla Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 2:59am
post #52 of 56

ANapoleon s are lovely and very versatile, good idea

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 2:12am
post #53 of 56

AI think the pastry cream that is inside eclairs at the grocery store is filled with something like the Henry and Henry Bavarian cream filling. I also think that tastes terrible.

Liz

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jul 2013 , 3:45am
post #54 of 56

AOh, ditto on the "Bavarian creme" tasting like crap! I used to work at a place that used all sleeve fillings and they have a "Bavarian creme" and a "cream cheese" filling that said you could put them in donuts and cakes and make pies and such out of the filling. BLARG!! Maybe if you wanted to lose weight by losing your lunch everyday... It tastes like nothing but chemical soup.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 1:05am
post #55 of 56

I know, I bought a Bavarian Cream, a Lemon, and a Raspberry and a Strawberry just to see what they were like.  The lemon was ELECTRIC yellow, and I think I just threw it away without tasting it.  The Bavarian Cream was awful, but I don't like fake tasting cr@p.  The raspberry and strawberry were decent, and were better with cake than tasting them plain.  But would I buy any of them again?  Doubtful.  I use Dickinson's preserves for filling instead, as they are the most amazing, fresh tasting preserves I've ever had. :)

Liz

kaylawaylalayla Posted 5 Jul 2013 , 2:17am
post #56 of 56

AMaking the fillings are my favorite part. At school we were "bain marie *****es" lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%