Fondant That Actually Tastes Decent?

Decorating By Cakes by Bri Updated 29 Jun 2013 , 5:22pm by Cakes by Bri

Cakes by Bri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes by Bri Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 18

AI'm new to cake decorating just started last month and using Wilton fondant (ew I know) not the most tasteful of fondants. What's the best tasting pre-made fondant? I'm looking into fondariffic brand? Good to work with for figures also?

Thanks! Let me know if I have a chance with cake decorating! I have a real love for it, like you all I'm sure! :-) www.facebook.com/briannacaughroncakes

17 replies
cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 18

AI've heard good review's about the fondariffic brand so I guess you could try that,also satin ice isn't bad. The best reviews I've read about is making your own marshmallow fondant, apparently it tastes great and is pretty easy to make- not forget to mention its a money saver!! I'm attempting mine this weekend hopefully!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 18

AI prefer Fondarific

Cakes by Bri Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 18

AI want to attempt my own marshmallow fondant soon hopefully it won't end up a complete disaster! :-/ Otherwise it seems I have to order offline I can't find any in stores but Wilton! And sometimes satin ice which I may try also!

cakealicious7 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 18

AWell when i attempt to make mine ill let you know how I get on,that way you'll know if its easy or not!!

cakealicious7 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 18

AI just checked your Facebook page and your really brilliant!! Did you really start last month?

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 18

It seems I have to speak up every time the subject of home made fondant is mentioned. My all time favorite is Michele Foster's Fondant, or MFF. I make the white chocolate version and flavor it with Lorann's cheesecake flavoring. It is easy to make, has great workability (I find MMF too stretchy and sweet), and I haven't found a person yet who doesn't love it. In fact, I have difficulty not eating too much of it when working with it. With the aid of The Mat I am able to roll it incredibly thin, as the thick chewiness of fondant is what some people object to.

The recipe is found in the recipe section and if you are interested in The Mat, you can Google Sweetwise who manufactures them.

For the ease and malleability, flavor and cost, I don't think MFF can be beat.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 18

Just throwing this out there-- fondant is never used for the sole purpose of making a cake taste good. No one would roll out a piece just for the flavor for a cake they are, say, serving to family.   And some venues will still remove the fondant for serving.  In my opinion, there is never a reason to add something that tastes like marshmallows, tootsie toll or starburst to my delicious cake.

However, I always use fondant because that way I don't need to color the luscious icing and it helps the cake stay moist and protected during what can be hours of decoration and waiting to be served. And of course decoration not otherwise possible can be done.

I don't especially think of modeling chocolate as a delicious addition to a cake either.

annabananana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabananana Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 18

A

Original message sent by howsweet

Just throwing this out there-- fondant is never used for the sole purpose of making a cake taste good. No one would roll out a piece just for the flavor for a cake they are, say, serving to family.   And some venues will still remove the fondant for serving.  In my opinion, there is never a reason to add something that tastes like marshmallows, tootsie toll or starburst to my delicious cake.

However, I always use fondant because that way I don't need to color the luscious icing and it helps the cake stay moist and protected during what can be hours of decoration and waiting to be served. And of course decoration not otherwise possible can be done.

I don't especially think of modeling chocolate as a delicious addition to a cake either.

that is a good point. I do love MFF and fondariffic. I hate satin ice. It tastes like poison.

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 18

Fondarifc hands down! Dries slowly so if you have a lot of impressions or details to put in it...you'll have plenty of working time. You won't even need to cover it with plastic wrap and a damp towel unless you're working for days on details and just want to be sure. It doesn't crack or tear as easily as most brands and I've never experienced the elephant skin with Fondarific! Not to mention, it can be refrigerated with no ill effects. When it's cold you can handle it really nicely for paneling. In addition, for those that do love fondant and the flavor, IMO it can't be beat. Not to mention the assortment of complimenting flavors. HTH

cakealicious7 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 18

ADo you guys know if fondarific is suitable for vegetarians?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakealicious7 

Do you guys know if fondarific is suitable for vegetarians?

OK for some vegetarians (as in no gelatin) but not for vegans as it does contain dairy. And, of course, a really strict vegan won't consume most powdered sugar.

cakealicious7 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 18

AThankyou so much Elcee, it was just actually the animal products such as the gelantine that i was wondering about.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 18

Ditto everything milkmaid42 said :)  I use MFF - super easy to flavor it, which then can compliment any cake flavor.  I am going to have to try milkmaid's combo of White chocolate and cheesecake flavoring.  Cheesecake is probably my most popular flavoring, but I haven't tried it in the WC MFF...yet!

I agree with howsweet - a lot of people simply remove the fondant before eating the cake.  Before I found MFF, I actually instructed people to do so!  I didn't want them to ruin my cake with that stuff! :)  But with MFF, you can flavor it so many different ways.  Very versatile.  As milkmaid pointed out, I think most people's objection to fondant is due to the thickness (or having tried store-bought...junk), but same as milkmaid, The Mat helps me conquer that issue, so I can roll out the fondant really thin without adding PS or any kind of grease (adding which would then lead to cracking and/or stretching) :)

I read a few of the threads regarding MMF.  Seemed to me that a LOT of CCers love the MMF, but I am not one of them.  I personally like MFF better.  Not only tastewise, but it's easier (for me) to work with.  I will say that I think MMF is easier and faster to make.  MFF for me is worth the little bit of extra work and time.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 18

If i am going to make it, mff is the best tasting. I do no like mmf. tried it all.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 8:47pm
post #16 of 18

I'm going to add one more comment then head outside to mow my three acres of tall grass. (My outside work gets neglected when I'm caking.) Several years ago I stopped using buttercream under my fondant. About that time I discovered ganache and covering a cake has never been easier or more delicious. I still use BC when requested, but find I have less requests for it since I've been using ganache. Either white chocolate, or dark chocolate, I love it. As a side note, the fondant can be applied over either color. The fondant covers without any bleed through of color.

When introducing someone new to fondant, I request that they just try a sample before peeling it off. Fondant's bad reputation precedes it and it takes only a taste to change an opinion. Seldom do plates come back with strips of fondant.

Oh, and @640, I also use vanilla in combination with the cheesecake flavoring.

I guess that's three comments.icon_biggrin.gif

Jan

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 18

AI totally love Satin Ice!

Cakes by Bri Posted 29 Jun 2013 , 5:21pm
post #18 of 18

AI know fondant isn't meant for taste but I was just looking for an alternative brand or method to which people will at least let me decorate their cAke with it. I prefer to cover it for freshness also especially during the summer months in the heat! Thanks for all the response! I did just start last month so I still have lots to learn! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%