Wmi Question!

Decorating By Sweet_Cakes Updated 1 Jul 2013 , 10:25am by Sweet_Cakes

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 5

Hey all!

I have just applied to be a WMI (Wilton Method Instructor). I figure it's a good way for me to make some money while doing something that I love until I move and get my business set up.

My question is, I've never done a Wilton Course (wanted to, but no money) but I have cake decorating experience. Is this required in becoming an instructor?

Hopefully someone knows!

Thanks,

Jennifer

4 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 4:58am
post #2 of 5

My instructor didn't do the class. After hired she had to attend a class. Just please promise you will tell some of them the awesome tips on here. I loved my Wilton instructor but afterwards I realized there were some Wilton products that I felt I just HAD to have that I didn't actually need at all. 

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 5:09am
post #3 of 5

AMy local Wilton instructor said that Wilton certifies you as an instructor after you take their classes. You send in pictures of your cakes and techniques. Then you pay $50 or $60 to Wilton, for your certification, I think. But they send you a kit with an apron, some tools, and a Wilton gift card.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 30 Jun 2013 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 5

AThe first instructor I took classes with didn't know anything about decorating, she was just reading the book out loud to us. The second instructor I had clearly loved decorating and had a lot of tips outside of the syllabus that showed she knew what she was doing. The Wilton courses are designed as marketing tools for their products, so you may find yourself having to teach your students to do something in a completely different way to how you usually do it, so that you can work the Wilton product in there.

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 1 Jul 2013 , 10:25am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! I'm still waiting to hear...I just hope that I can actually afford to work as an instructor...LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%