Starting Website

Business By rdjr Updated 28 Jun 2013 , 4:25pm by jason_kraft

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:02am
post #1 of 7

Hello all, I want to start my website. What servers or software do you all recommend? Thanks!

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:15am
post #2 of 7

AIt depends. What do you want to do with the site? What is your budget? Do you have experience in web design, usability, graphic design, HTML, SEO, etc.?

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:35am
post #3 of 7

Hello Jason, I just want it to to give costumers info. Pricing, flavors, and all that stuff. I don't have experience with web design but I do with graphic design.

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 7

I just used Wix.com, and it was THE easiest thing ever. It's a drag and drop basically, but includes SEO settings. You do have to pay to connect your domain, but I did a $10/month thing and it's totally worth it. I had it up and running in about a week.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 7

I first used Wordpress and found it very hard to use (it's got a huge learning curve). Recently I used Squarespace and that was very easy to use. I really liked the gallery options they had over other builders and their contact forms and online stores are super easy to use.

If you can, look at other peoples website layouts. That's really helpful! That will tell you what the style sheets look like (in general) and the gallery options for that builder.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 7

AWhatever you choose, make sure to test it on different devices. For instance, I cannot easily view Wordpress or Wix websites on my iPad (they crash my browser), but I can see them on my computer. Access to your website should be easy for your customers. Many people will not bother to use a different computer, they will just move on to your competitor's site.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7

A

Original message sent by rdjr

Hello Jason, I just want it to to give costumers info. Pricing, flavors, and all that stuff. I don't have experience with web design but I do with graphic design.

For a very basic site (something similar to a blog) I would go with Wordpress.com, it is very easy to work with. (Wordpress.org is more complex and is meant for custom-built web sites.) I haven't had any problems with Wordpress.com sites on my iPad, but there may be some themes that are not iPad-friendly so as mentioned above be sure to do some testing.

If you are serious about your business and don't want a cookie-cutter site, I recommend working with a professional web designer. If you go this route it will be helpful to put together a mockup of your site on paper (or in Photoshop), a good web designer will be able to translate your mockup into a custom site built for maximum usability.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%