New Kitchenaid 8 Quart Commercial Mixer

Business By liz at sugar Updated 18 Apr 2015 , 12:47pm by -K8memphis

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 55

Has anyone bought the new Kitchenaid 8 qt Commercial mixer?  I can't find any reviews on it, or if the only difference between it and the 7 qt are the bowl size.  It is both on the Webstaurant Store site and Amazon, among other places.

Trying to decide if it would be a good one for cookie doughs, etc.

Liz

54 replies
TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:36am
post #2 of 55

Liz-I haven't used the 8 qt but I LOVE my 7 qt commercial kitchenaid. It's super quiet. I have it on high and I can still answer the phone and have conversations. Compared to my 6 qt 'professional' mixer that I have to turn off to hear people. 

liz at sugar Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:55am
post #3 of 55

Thanks Ali, I'm glad you are happy with the commercial version.  They both have the same wattage and motor, and both say they hold 14 cups flour, but the 8 qt is $50 more than the 7 qt.  (??)  Maybe the 7 qt bowl is really an 8 qt bowl, and they are just relabeling it, otherwise you would think it would hold more flour.

Liz

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:03am
post #4 of 55

That's weird that they hold the same amount! I'm pretty sure the 7qt is actually 7qt since my 6qt blade still worked decently. My assistant accidentally used a blade from my 6qt mixer and didn't even realize it until after she was finished. She only mentioned that she had to scrape the bottom more than usual. 

I also just looked them up on Chef's Catalog. The 7qt says its "16 c flour power". And both the 7 and 8 are the same price. Now it's even more confusing. I know I do a triple batch of my red velvet cake, which does 72 cupcakes. HTH! 

liz at sugar Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:07am
post #5 of 55

I know, I wonder if the Webstaurant Store just copied the text over from the 7 qt and forgot to make any changes.

I liked that the commercial models have all metal gears - I have had to replace the plastic gears in my Artisan, and although it is fairly easy, it is messy to get in there with all the grease.

Thanks for the heads up - I will contact Kitchenaid next week and just ask them what the difference is between the two models. :)

Liz

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:29am
post #6 of 55

update us please!!!  I am also curious!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 55

If it's a true commercial grade mixer, maybe they mean they used all metal parts like the very old regular ones? From what I understand the newer non commercial grad KA mixers are not that sturdy. They might hold up fine for mixing liquids, but breads might wear them out long term.

I would definitely pay $50 more for an extra quart.  They may be trying to step forward past their competition who makes commercial grade 7 qt mixers. (Like Hamilton Beach) and looking for a reason to help customers justify the extra price of Kitchen Aid. Because anyone in business is going to compare what's available and not be so stuck on Kitchen Aid .

liz at sugar Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 55

UPDATE: I talked to Kitchenaid after receiving an e-mail with the factory phone number.  They say that both the 7 and 8 qt models use the same motor, etc.  The 7 qt is rated for 16 cups of flour, but the rep said that is based more on the motor than the bowl size.  The 8 qt. saying it is rated for 14 cups flour is a TYPO they believe, but haven't heard what the correct number should be.  Since it is based on the motor size, she said to assume it also should be rated for 16 cups.

She also said the bowl is only taller, not wider, and uses the same implements as the 7 qt.  I didn't think to ask her, but I wonder if you could use the 8 qt bowl on the 7 qt model??  She also said the 8 qt comes in more colors than the 7 qt.

Does that make anyone's decision easier?  I think a taller bowl would help contain more dry ingredients in the bowl.  I am waiting a few weeks to see if more reviews pop up on the 8 qt.  One finally posted yesterday to the kitchenaid site - a person bought 2 mixers, one is working great, and they had to send the other back for replacement due to a clunking noise.  They were happy with the one that was working, though.

Liz

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 55

A

Original message sent by liz at sugar

UPDATE: I talked to Kitchenaid after receiving an e-mail with the factory phone number.  They say that both the 7 and 8 qt models use the same motor, etc.  The 7 qt is rated for 16 cups of flour, but the rep said that is based more on the motor than the bowl size.  The 8 qt. saying it is rated for 14 cups flour is a TYPO they believe, but haven't heard what the correct number should be.  Since it is based on the motor size, she said to assume it also should be rated for 16 cups.

She also said the bowl is only taller, not wider, and uses the same implements as the 7 qt.  [B]I didn't think to ask her, but I wonder if you could use the 8 qt bowl on the 7 qt model??  She also said the 8 qt comes in more colors than the 7 qt.[/B]

Does that make anyone's decision easier?  I think a taller bowl would help contain more dry ingredients in the bowl.  I am waiting a few weeks to see if more reviews pop up on the 8 qt.  One finally posted yesterday to the kitchenaid site - a person bought 2 mixers, one is working great, and they had to send the other back for replacement due to a clunking noise.  They were happy with the one that was working, though.

Liz

Yes, according to the KA website, the 8qt bowl fits the 7qt mixer and costs $89.

liz at sugar Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 4:32pm
post #10 of 55

Thanks vgcea!  So if color didn't matter, you could get the 7 qt plus an extra 8 qt bowl!

Liz

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 55

AI've been debating getting a commercial grade Kitchenaid because I wasn't sure if they were actually better quality/more durable/better built. I've looked in to getting a Viking or Hobart, since they are definitely commercial grade. But now I'll look again at Kitchenaid. Thanks for the info!

howsweet Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 55

If the only difference is a taller bowl, won't it be harder to use? And colors? I want a mixer that is going to be a good value, not need to be replaced in 10 years and be easy to clean. Kitchen Aid has done a great job of marketing to the novice home baker, people cling to that brand for reasons that are beyond me. I see so many discussions about buying mixers that only compare one KA to another, as if there are no other choices.

liz at sugar Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

If the only difference is a taller bowl, won't it be harder to use? And colors? I want a mixer that is going to be a good value, not need to be replaced in 10 years and be easy to clean. Kitchen Aid has done a great job of marketing to the novice home baker, people cling to that brand for reasons that are beyond me. I see so many discussions about buying mixers that only compare one KA to another, as if there are no other choices.

People compare one KA to another because they are the best value for a quality, American built mixer.  Hobarts are great, but their 5 qt. model is $2300 - it is hard to justify spending almost 4 times as much on something that basically spins a paddle on an elliptical shaft.  Or you can go with a plain label, like Avantco, which is OK, but I'm not sure if I can work on one of those, and I am familiar enough with KA to do my own maintenance and repairs.

There are plenty of choices, but KA has an excellent warranty program (2 years on commercial models), so I find them the best overall value.

Liz

howsweet Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 7:42pm
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

People compare one KA to another because they are the best value for a quality, American built mixer.  Hobarts are great, but their 5 qt. model is $2300 - it is hard to justify spending almost 4 times as much on something that basically spins a paddle on an elliptical shaft.  Or you can go with a plain label, like Avantco, which is OK, but I'm not sure if I can work on one of those, and I am familiar enough with KA to do my own maintenance and repairs.

There are plenty of choices, but KA has an excellent warranty program (2 years on commercial models), so I find them the best overall value.

Liz

I disagree - while that is your reason, in my opinion most people think mixing ends and begins with kitchen aid. And with the exception of the Hobart, which is true commercial grade mixer that will last 100+ years and isn't really a comparable product, the others tend to be less expensive.  My 7 qt is a commercial Hamilton Beach and it's a joy to clean and works as well as it did when I bought it 11 years ago. They go new for about $570, compare about $650 for the KA commercial mixer. And it has a tilt back head. My 30 qt is a Hobart and I guess it will last forever, but I'm not otherwise all that impressed with it. Maybe I would be if I were mixing pizza or bread dough.

liz at sugar Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 8:08pm
post #15 of 55

I agree about the Hobarts being better suited for heavier, hard to knead doughs.  I am not sure where your Hamilton Beach was made, but today they are made in China.  I try hard to buy American made whenever possible, because I'm not a fan of Chinese made products.  So I didn't even consider the Hamilton Beach. :(  I'm sure the pre-China ones are great.

Liz

howsweet Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 8:23pm
post #16 of 55

On a side note, someone should start a thread about what cake supplies come from China for people who want to try to avoid that. All kinds of things come from there that people wouldn't even think about. I would bet that all of our tylose (CMC) comes from China.  If you google any ingredient that you want to buy in bulk for manufacturing, suddenly you see nothing but Chinese suppliers.

liz at sugar Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 55

Yes, all the cupcake wrappers, cutters, etc. all seem to come from China.  Lots of Wilton accessories like spatulas and tips are made in Japan though, which is a step up from China in my mind..  I also love all the Magic Line and Nordic Ware pans made here in the US.

Liz

cricketr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricketr Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:56pm
post #18 of 55

When I looked at the descriptions of the two mixers on the Kitchen Aid website, the 8 quart mixer one went into great detail about the motor horsepower and the "new" motor control board that helped it work more efficiently. I wonder if that is the difference? I don't know if phone reps are always that knowledgeable, so I take it with a grain of salt that the bowl size would be the only difference. 

Renee-Petro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renee-Petro Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 12:18am
post #19 of 55

AGoing to be putting that 8qt kitchenaid on my christmas list, I love my kitchenaid but I only have 5 1/2 quart.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 7:54am
post #20 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSugarLab 

Liz-I haven't used the 8 qt but I LOVE my 7 qt commercial kitchenaid. It's super quiet. I have it on high and I can still answer the phone and have conversations. Compared to my 6 qt 'professional' mixer that I have to turn off to hear people.

agree with TheSugarLab on the 7 qt.  Quiet, nice slow start,  it came with the 11 wire whip which beats eggs like crazy, and my old 6 qt. bowl/paddle fits so I have an extra bowl if needed.

(Kinda glad that my old 6 qt gave up the ghost.)

MaisondeLeveque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisondeLeveque Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 3:59am
post #21 of 55

AI just ordered the 8 qt today from web resteraunt supply on sale for 545 plus free shipping. I will let you all know how it works out!

liz at sugar Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 4:16am
post #22 of 55

I ended up ordering the refurbished 7 qt. Professional direct from Kitchenaid.  The only issue I've got with it is that the front attachment cover fell off.  It attaches differently than the Artisan model, which is just held in by the side bolt.  This looks like it supposed to hammered/wedged in, and then has a flip up cover.  I am going to see if they can send a replacement next week.  I can't get this one to stay in place.

I love it though - I can mix between 7 and 8 lbs of cookie dough at once.

Liz

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 6:02am
post #23 of 55

AHow do you get refurbished from KA? I need (want!) a new bigger one, but maybe I can save a fee bucks going rebuilt. Do they advertise rebuilts?

cserwa Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 6:31am
post #24 of 55

AAhhhhhhh! 550 is cheapest I've seen!! I was waiting To see sales at Black Friday but I don't know it it'll get any cheaper! Anyone know kitchenaid BF sales history?? Do they typically have crazy sales?

liz at sugar Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 1:36pm
post #25 of 55

A

Original message sent by IAmPamCakes

How do you get refurbished from KA? I need (want!) a new bigger one, but maybe I can save a fee bucks going rebuilt. Do they advertise rebuilts?

They are on their website. Just search refurbished. Very cheap - I think it was around $350 shipped! Paint is great, so is motor/mechanics. 6 mo. warranty.

Liz

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 8:27pm
post #26 of 55

A

Original message sent by liz at sugar

Yes, all the cupcake wrappers, cutters, etc. all seem to come from China.  Lots of Wilton accessories like spatulas and tips are made in Japan though, which is a step up from China in my mind..  I also love all the Magic Line and Nordic Ware pans made here in the US.

Liz

I am just a hobby baker but I wanted decent pans, I had bought wilton, then did my research and purchased a set (two 4, 6, and 8") magic line. Best purchase ever! I returned the couple wilton pans and donated my old ones. I love the magic line set and seeing as I only spent about $50 for 6 pans plus shipping, I'm elated!

I was recently searching for a stand mixer but couldn't afford to buy a KA, I got very lucky when my fiance`s mom offered me her 6 month old ka artisan bc she was upgrading!

Mrsgillespie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrsgillespie Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 8:40pm
post #27 of 55

AI purchased the commercial 8 qt. Kitchenaid a few months ago when I was in the market for a larger mixer but just couldn't swallow the price of a Hobart, Eve used. I have been very pleased with this mixer-it is sturdy, solid and has minimal vibration even at the highest speeds. eBay had the best price on a new one, and with a little watching and waiting I was able to snag mine for $650.00. I haven't regretted it once. The investment in this reliable, professional mixer was a great choice. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like if you want to know more

MaisondeLeveque Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 10:10pm
post #28 of 55

AI bought this 8qt on webstrauntsupply yesterday for 545 including shipping. It says 698.01 til you put itin your cart. Then it displays the discount!

MaisondeLeveque Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 10:11pm
post #29 of 55

Ahttp://www.webstaurantstore.com/. Sorry I had the name wrong above!

cserwa Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 11:48pm
post #30 of 55

Anyone know if Kitchenaid Mixers go on insane sales on Black Friday?  I've been holding out til then, but I don't see the 8 quart going much cheaper than 550, even on Black Friday.  Kohls always has killer Black Friday sales but they don't carry the 8 quart.  It's still 699 on Amazon...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%