Fondx Elite...quantities?

Decorating By Kyriosity Updated 28 Jun 2013 , 5:35am by Kyriosity

Kyriosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyriosity Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 8

Is there a chart somewhere that shows the amounts of FondX Elite necessary to cover various size cakes? The only fondant chart I know of is the Wilton one, and that's pretty useless for FondX, which requires so much less.

~Valerie

7 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 7:57am
post #2 of 8

http://www.globalsugarart.com/how-much-fondant-do-need-pg-8.html

This one is from Global Sugar Art. They sell Satin Ice and Fondx

Kyriosity Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks. That one gives the same amounts as the Wilton one, though, and doesn't distinguish between different brands that require different quantities.

~Valerie

bct806 Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 8

I honestly have never heard of using different amounts of fondant depending on the brand. Every chart I have seen says the same thing.You may just have to do trial and error or Google it.

Kyriosity Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:09am
post #5 of 8

Well, if FondX Elite can roll out to 1/16", then it's obviously not going to take as much to cover a cake as it would a fondant that needs to be 1/4" thick. I was just hoping that someone who had used it more extensively had made a chart. I make a couple of wedding cakes a year, so I can't afford to experiment. I couldn't find anything on Google, which is why I asked here.

bct806 Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:28am
post #6 of 8

That sounded a bit snippy. Yeesh. I was just saying I hadn't heard of it. I have never used it that type of fondant. Was just trying to help. 

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:47am
post #7 of 8

Well, 1/16th is one fourth (25 percent) of 1/4th, so wouldn't you use one fourth the amount of fondant if you are rolling it to 1/16th inch instead of 1/4 inch?  Just adjust your chart accordingly.

Liz

Kyriosity Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 5:35am
post #8 of 8

bct -- No snippiness intended.

liz -- I thought about that, but wondered if they might have different densities, and therefore that formula wouldn't quite work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%