soldiernurse Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 5:54pm
post #1 of

Pros, I just saw a tutorial by Alan Tetrault of Global Sugar Art,  [I love his tutorials!!] which showed him damming a wedding cake with a rope of fondant and filled with raspberry filling. I am baking a wedding cake and wanted to know what you pros thought!! Fondant or Buttercream dam?????

21 replies
Dayti Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 6:02pm
post #2 of

Ganache

medicmama7 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 6:06pm
post #3 of

I prefer butter cream

soldiernurse Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 6:19pm
post #4 of

and why??

The Cake Shoppe Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:15pm
post #5 of

I'm sure they all work well in their respective applications.  It's just about having different options and using different techniques.  Everyone develops a preference after a while.

I prefer buttercream.  I have worked with it the most.  It's a comfortable choice for me.  :-)  Doesn't mean I won't have a reason to use a fondant or ganache dam on a future cake. 

Jess155 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:31pm
post #6 of

I saw that one too.  I use BC because I can't imagine getting a side piece with a big chunk of fondant in there.  He did several things I don't do though, that wasn't the only one.

soldiernurse Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:41pm
post #7 of

I guess one of my concerns would be as Jess said, a big chunk of fondant..in addition to the fondant on the cake..do you think that would be too much fondant?? Do you think that it would bulge icon_eek.gif out? That's my biggest question!icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

soldiernurse Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:43pm
post #8 of

I'm just curious Jess, what else did he do that you don't..being a newbie, I want to learn.icon_biggrin.gif

soldiernurse Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:45pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti 

Ganache

how would you use prepare the genache Dayti?

Jess155 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:55pm

He left the BC layer very uneven and not smooth at all.  That's going to show through fondant.  He only put a very thin layer of BC on, I use a nice full layer because people like BC and I make sure I take the time to make it perfect before I put on the fondant.  That's why his fondant is lumpy.  Those are the major ones.  Some minor preferences - I don't like the weird flower spray on top, I don't like the plastic pillars ( I use SPS) and he didn't mention putting a smear of BC on your cake board before your cake goes on there to help it stay in place for the BC layer.  Other than that it was ok ;)

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 8:06pm

Link to tutorial, please?

soldiernurse Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 8:06pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155 

He left the BC layer very uneven and not smooth at all.  That's going to show through fondant.  He only put a very thin layer of BC on, I use a nice full layer because people like BC and I make sure I take the time to make it perfect before I put on the fondant.  That's why his fondant is lumpy.  Those are the major ones.  Some minor preferences - I don't like the weird flower spray on top, I don't like the plastic pillars ( I use SPS) and he didn't mention putting a smear of BC on your cake board before your cake goes on there to help it stay in place for the BC layer.  Other than that it was ok ;)

yep, I noticed the same things...plus the lace wasn't joined together seamlessly...not all can be but I thought that one could have been better.

Jess155 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 9:05pm

It's the one on the CC home page.

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 10:10pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155 

It's the one on the CC home page.

Oh, I never go to the home page... Thanks ;-)

maybenot Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 12:46am

I would NEVER create a dam out of fondant--it makes me shudder to even think about doing that. 

I prefer to use buttercream for the dam and a full coat of smooth buttercream under the fondant.

costumeczar Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 12:50am

I don't even use a dam,but I guess icing the cake with buttercream counts as using a buttercream dam of sorts. I wouldn't put a rope of fondant dam under a fondant cake, what the heck?

debidehm Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 5:50am

If I am crumb coating in buttercream, I use a buttercream dam. If I'm doing ganache, I use a ganache dam.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 6:21am

I actually don't dam at all either, unless I have a 'oozy' filling, like curd. In that case, whatever I'm icing the cake with, either ganache or buttercream.

Definitely not fondant, I like putting some surprise/unexpected elements in my cakes, but not 'what the heck is this thick roll of chewy stuff" surprises :)

debidehm Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 1:03pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

I actually don't dam at all either, unless I have a 'oozy' filling, like curd. In that case, whatever I'm icing the cake with, either ganache or buttercream.

Definitely not fondant, I like putting some surprise/unexpected elements in my cakes, but not 'what the heck is this thick roll of chewy stuff" surprises :)

I should have mentioned that this is the only time I dam also.

soldiernurse Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 2:40pm

yep, that's what I thought...just wanted to be sure that I wasn't being weird because I'm a newbie..icon_cool.gif

Dayti Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 3:36pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiernurse 

how would you use prepare the genache Dayti?

I use a ganache dam because I use a coat of ganache under the fondant. I let it set up, put some in a piping bag, and pipe 1/4" dam. Lots of very helpful tips and recipes on ganache on youtube, specifically look for Inspired By Michelle's 3 video series on ganaching, excellent info.

I agree that I would not want a chewy piece of fondant in my cake. I would also be concerned that if the filling for the cake was quite liquid, the fondant would start to break down and become just gross.

medicmama7 Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 12:35am

Definitely buttercream because when you are eating the cake, buttercream tastes much better, and provides a better seal to prevent any filling from leaking onto outer surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%