How Long Can I Leave A Cake Out Before It Goes Bad? Please Help Asap!

Decorating By mellbel25 Updated 27 Jun 2013 , 3:33am by denetteb

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 7

AHey guys! So I made a cake last week Thursday for a customer. She had to postpone her event for the next week (which would be this Saturday). I left the cake covered in buttercream in a container sitting on my counter. Do you guys think it would taste fine for that long??

And also, how long can I leave a cake covered in Fondant out on the counter? I have to make another cake for this Saturday and wanted to bake and cover with fondant today (Wednesday) do you guys think it would be fine?

6 replies
adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 7

In my opinion, for the cake that is a week old. NO, not now, NEVER. Would you want to buy a cake that is a week old. If you knew it would not be used for another week you should have froze it. I would not buy a cake if I knew it was a week old and I would not seel a cake that old.

JMO

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 7

According to my Health Department inspector, 5 days.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 7

I think most cakes taste best on day 4 or 5, however, keeping it out 9 days before it's needed (especially for a customer) is excessive -- I would have frozen it.  If your container is airtight, it could keep too much moisture in causing it to smell or taste moldy.  Most cakes will start to grow mold in about 2 weeks, or sooner when airtight.

Out for 3 days is no problem if not using perishable fillings.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 12:08am
post #5 of 7

A lot depends on what the weather is in your area.  I agree a cake some 7-9  days old is NOT going to taste very good.  It could even be moldy already!  If you had at least put it in the frig or fzr it'd be just fine, but on the counter not really :(

........According to my Health Department inspector, 5 days..........

I know health inspector opinions vary all over the place but this should be taken into consideration.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 12:28am
post #6 of 7

And whatever you do, don't leave it out in the rain. Especially in MacArthur Park. (couldn't resist) icon_biggrin.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 3:33am
post #7 of 7

For next time...not your problem that a customer changed his/her plans.  Have them get it as agreed to in your contract.  They can choose to refrigerate or freeze or leave on the counter or eat that day and re-order, their call. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%