I Swear To Never Use Cream Cheese Icing Ever Again!

Decorating By Sonya73 Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 7:46am by Annabakescakes

Sonya73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya73 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 4:41am
post #1 of 7

I don't know if its something I'm doing wrong, but I can never get cream cheese icing to be a good consistency. I had made a Cat in the hat cake, made the head, the hat and the base. Made the hat out of cake and used cream cheese icing---> Big Mistake! The Icing was a good consistency when I had first mixed it, put it in the fridge to harden, filled and shaped the cake then put it back  in the fridge. Took it back out to cover with fondant and airbrush. Looked good, up until it had been sitting out for about 20-30 minutes. I noticed the hat starting to lean and the fondant getting bumpy because of the icing. Cream cheese does not do good at room temperature and was getting soft. And eventually gave out and fell over. Was disappointing after spending so much time on it. But it was a cake I had made for fun for my nephews birthday. Good thing it wasn't for a customer! I have definitely learned my lesson.

But just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried cream cheese icing where it has worked?? Any tips?

Btw, I had used dowels and cake boards in between the cakes for support. 

6 replies
argrjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
argrjo Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 4:51am
post #2 of 7

hi there, sorry to hear that the cream cheese icing didn't work. I have a tip if you are willing to give it a try. Try beating the butter and the powdered  sugar first then add the cream cheese and then rest of the ingredients that the recipe calls for, hope it helps. icon_smile.gif

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 5:00am
post #3 of 7

I use cream cheese as fillings, and crumb coat with regular frosting. Hope that helps?

Sonya73 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 5:22am
post #4 of 7

Thanks! I guess I wont give up on the icing just yet. I'll definitely try a different recipe. Mine had called for whipped cream with cream cheese, I guess both dont do good at room temperature. 

And kickasscakes; thats what I had done. :/

cakesations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesations Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 5:36am
post #5 of 7

AI love using cream cheese icing.it one of my biggest sellers. I had a few problems in the beginning but I kept playing around with the recipe till I git it just right. I don't use butter at all. I have found that it makes the cream cheese too soft. I cream my cream cheese while it still cold and firm. Then I start adding my powdered sugar, adding vanilla is optional... I don't use it with mines.... the key is making the cream cheese icing a little firmer than you would for butter cream. About 4 cups powder sugar per pkg 8oz pkg of fream cheese.... I hope this helps

Sonya73 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 5:46am
post #6 of 7

Really? Just the 2 ingredients? Never would've thought of doing that. Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:46am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesations 

I love using cream cheese icing.it one of my biggest sellers. I had a few problems in the beginning but I kept playing around with the recipe till I git it just right. I don't use butter at all. I have found that it makes the cream cheese too soft. I cream my cream cheese while it still cold and firm. Then I start adding my powdered sugar, adding vanilla is optional... I don't use it with mines.... the key is making the cream cheese icing a little firmer than you would for butter cream. About 4 cups powder sugar per pkg 8oz pkg of fream cheese.... I hope this helps

Personally, I would never consider the vanilla optional. I think that is what "makes it" It is just not done until the vanilla goes in, and then it is to die for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%