Small To Large Balancing Act Cakes???

Decorating By smittyditty Updated 13 Jul 2013 , 3:55pm by smittyditty

smittyditty Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 13

I need to make an Ice Cream Waffle Cone shaped cake.

My question is how the heck are people doing this?

I see it go from tiny to large in lots of different shapes not just ice cream cones and have no clue?

For instance I recently saw a cake,I can't find now, that was a sword thru a heart. The heart was obviously wider than the point how does it not fall off? How do you balance that off the cake board with a knife thats 3inches wide? Are they covering a dowel drilled into plywood base with a small circle of wood drilled into the top of the dowel? If so I'm still lost as to how the heart doesn't fall apart. How do you go bigger in cake size without crushing the bottom layers?

I'm making the the ice cream cone but I'm sure I have to find someway to secure it to the plywood and would like to make it the real waffle cone shape.  If that all makes sense?

12 replies
Dayti Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 13

I don't know a lot about 3D cakes, but I'm pretty sure you will have to start with a styrofoam cone for the very bottom of your cone. Stake it to your board with a large dowel. You can build cake up on top of the cone, using dowels and cake boards every 4 inches. Not sure how big you want to make it but that's how I'd do it.

smittyditty Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 13

Oh that is a good idea. How bout the dowel should I drill it into the plywood or drill a hole and glue it into the plywood?

Also I still don't know how the heck they go smaller to bigger. Supposing I do use they styrofoam the icecream scoop would still have to be bigger around. It would go small to bigger then back to small like a ball. I have a ball cake pan and that might work but would look very spherical vs cutting out my own design. I'm afraid its gonna fall apart. Maybe something to coat it to keep it holding like say ganache? Note I'm in Texas and my vehicle doesn't have the greatest A/C system its new and darn it if I forgot to see if it had back A/C units. Also during transport maybe put the ice cream scoop on last when I'm about to walk the cake in? That way its not added pressure to the dowel?

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 12:12am
post #4 of 13

You start with a plywood base, (I use 3/4"), make sure it's large enough that it won't just tip over once the cake is built onto it. Screw a metal flange into the middle, and then screw in a plastic adapter/connector/?, (ask the dudes at home depot, they will know what you need!).

Then push in a 1/2" PVC pipe, that is your 'dowel'. You want that almost the same height as the cake.

I saw a tutorial awhile ago for an ice cream cake, and she used a foam cone, drilled a hole through it and slide it over the pipe, then build the cake up on top of that.

Obviously the foam gets covered in fondant. I *think* that may have been on CC, so maybe do a search for it.

My husband built one for me when I made a similarly shaped cake last year, and attached and acrylic cake board where I wanted the cake to start, and I use RKT for what I was doing on the bottom.

This was the closest I could find to show how he did that, slightly different method, but same idea.

smittyditty Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 12:28am
post #5 of 13

OH wow ya that is really cool. Thank you so much. Just one more question though how do you go out with the ice cream scoop part. Do you cover your balls with ganache? Or something that holds it all together?

smittyditty Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 2:31am
post #6 of 13

Ok I just wanted to thank you for all your help and show you the cake. So thank you again!

25inch tall Ice Cream Theme Cake  Fondant covered Cone and buttercream frosting.

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:33am
post #7 of 13
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

OH wow ya that is really cool. Thank you so much. Just one more question though how do you go out with the ice cream scoop part. Do you cover your balls with ganache? Or something that holds it all together?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! If you do that, I would think you would want it to cool at room temp for a while, before you use it. Not to hot, and not too cold....Unless you're into that...

smittyditty Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:41am
post #8 of 13

AOh Anna lol I know I set myself up!!! Hey but I did end up using ganache and will never do that again in tx summers. Even my buttercream was having issues. My house couldn't even cool down to 76!!!

smittyditty Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:49am
post #9 of 13

AI was talking about her Christmas ornament cake on her blog but it was worded really bad. Especially since I'm a girl. Thank you though for the laughs for some reason it struck me even funnier when I explained it to my husband then I was hysterical with tears. So thanks I love good laughs like that.

AZCouture Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:53am
post #10 of 13

*snort* at the ganache balls, I love juvenile humor.icon_lol.gif Hey, GREAT cake, you did good!

smittyditty Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 4:34am
post #11 of 13

AThanks AZ these aren't my fav cakes to make but until I can break into wedding cakes this will be my past time.

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 5:02am
post #12 of 13

I am a big immature perv, so it isn't hard for people to set themselves up around me, lol. Your cake does look really cool though (Pun NOT intended) I bet it was horrible to transport, being so top heavy!

I did a couple really top heavy cakes, one a princess tower, and one a jelly fish, and both clients said they were about to have a heart attack transporting them. And I did a standing up sponge bob for my nephew and his dad said he was going to kill my MIL for ordering a cake like that. He was tense, holding it in his lap (!!!) for 45 miles in a tiny car. I wonder if anyone has any tips?

smittyditty Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 13

AThanks anna! Oh and I didn't transport it! The customer came and got it. I think it went fine. It was super sturdy I had it tilted and everything with no problems. Check out scrumdiddlycakes blog it shows you how.

Quote by @%username% on %date%