Note To Self: Be Careful Where You Store Fondant!

Decorating By morninglorie Updated 26 Jun 2013 , 7:30pm by morninglorie

morninglorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morninglorie Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 7

I had a brainless moment yesterday that resulted in the total decimation of all of my fondant cupcake toppers.

My mom had asked me to make up some cupcakes (only a dozen) for a friend's 60th birthday, and I got full creative license.  They're for a gentleman, so I decided to do a fairly simple topper that would sit on top of my buttercream swirl.  I still wanted them to be jazzed up though, so I had decided to hand paint a chevron pattern, and then set the "60" on top of that.  I spent most of the weekend working on making the MMF, cutting out the pieces (numbers are a pain!), painting, and putting things together.

I live in an apartment with cats, so I can't ever leave anything sitting out.  I put my tray of toppers in the cold oven to keep them safe (or so I thought).  I bet you can tell where this is going...

Yesterday afternoon, I was prepping things to make the actual cupcakes, and turned on my oven to preheat it, totally forgetting the toppers were still inside.  They melted (and slightly burned) into a giant mass.  Sad panda!  Luckily for me, its my mom and friends and they don't care as long as they taste good, so I made up some much more simple toppers instead.  At least my buttercream is still pretty.

6 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 7

Aw, so sorry that happened to you.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 7

I store things like that in my oven also.  I will turn on the light to dry Roy Icing flowers, however, put a sticky note on the oven button and this will remind you not to just turn it on.  I relay this hint to my students in course 2.

ECC12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ECC12 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 7

I am always afraid that is going to happen to me.  I double check my oven even when I don't even have anything stored in the oven. 

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 3:28am
post #5 of 7

Oh no. Glad it wasn't too bad of a flub since it was for family but I can't imagine!

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma 

put a sticky note on the oven button and this will remind you not to just turn it on.  I relay this hint to my students in course 2.

Oh, this is a great tip!!  Thanks!

morninglorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morninglorie Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 7

Oh, the sticky note idea is brilliant!  I wish I had better storage space.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%