How Do I Get This Textured Icing?

Decorating By coleyscakes Updated 27 Jun 2013 , 1:56pm by bittersweety

coleyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleyscakes Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone know what tip I should use to get this type of texture?   Its not the best picture but looks like it is a little spikey.

Thanks!

14 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 15

It is a white ruffle cake. Use the rose tip.

coleyscakes Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 15

Thats what I was origianlly thinking but I think it looks more spikey than smooth.  I don't know how to get the spike look.

bct806 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 15

I don't think it is spiky. Just a bad pic. When you google image it, it says white ruffled wedding cake. I made one from buttercream and it looked like that.

coleyscakes Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 15

AOk thanks. I will give it a try. Which tip did you use? Any suggestions or tips. This is the first time I'm doing this style.

bct806 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 15

I am pretty sure I used tip 104 but you can use any rose tip. It just depends on the size you want the ruffles. I started at the bottom of the cake. I held it perpendicular to the cake with the skinny part facing up and went around the whole cake, doing one layer at a time.

Transformergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Transformergirl Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 15

AIt looks more like it's fondant. You roll out an inch wide strip and use a ball point tool to fan or spread the fondant to achieve a fan/lace look to it and wrap it around the cake layer by layer.

bct806 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformergirl 

It looks more like it's fondant. You roll out an inch wide strip and use a ball point tool to fan or spread the fondant to achieve a fan/lace look to it and wrap it around the cake layer by layer.

It may be but it ends in the same type of result. Everyone here prefers buttercream so every cake I have done thus far has had buttercream.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 6:27am
post #9 of 15

It looks like buttercream to me, and I would bet on it. It is just a 103 or 104, and you use the thin side up, and go around the cake, squeezing lightly and jiggling. Then do another row, and repeat until your cake is covered in spikey, jiggly rows of buttercream. That is all there is to it.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 7:36am
post #10 of 15

I was closing tabs and my 9 year old saw that cake and asked me if it was made with "the rose tip", lol. Her future is so bright....

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 15

that one looks like fondant to me. but yes, if you're doing it with buttercream make sure its a stiff buttercream and start at the top row and go down.

bct806 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweety 

that one looks like fondant to me. but yes, if you're doing it with buttercream make sure its a stiff buttercream and start at the top row and go down.

Why would you start at the top if it was buttercream? When I did it, I started at the bottom. The ruffle was pointing towards the top of the cake. Not the bottom.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 15

If you start at the top, you can overlap row 2 a bit over row 1, row 3  bit over row 2, etc. so the ruffle edges are closer together.

bct806 Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 10:01pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

If you start at the top, you can overlap row 2 a bit over row 1, row 3  bit over row 2, etc. so the ruffle edges are closer together.

Wow. I must have had a brain fart there. I did start from the top when I did mine. lol. 

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

this

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%