Confused About "cake Setteling"

Decorating By md21010 Updated 25 Jun 2013 , 11:59pm by FullHouse

md21010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
md21010 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:08am
post #1 of 3

When do I let my cake settle? After I crumb coat? Before I crumb coat? How long do I have to let my cake settle? Do I chill my cake with crumb coat? I've had my cakes sag and bulge out and it drives me crazy! Any suggestions?

Thank you!

2 replies
MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 3

AYour cake has to be cold, very cold.

Here's what I do...

- fill the cake and leave in the refrigerator for an hour. The buttercream or ganache will have hardened. - cover with buttercream or ganache. Because the buttercream/ ganache inside the cake is hard the layers will not move when your cover it with buttercream/ ganache. - leave in the refrigerator at least 4 hours...better result if overnight. - brush the ganache with a very thin coat of hot water to make it sticky. If don't use hot water when I use buttercream. - cover with fondant. Thinner the fondant, the better as it will not crush the cake.

Since I've tried this method, I've only had good results.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 3

I find that my cakes settle best when at room temp.  Once they get cold, they are firmer and wind up settling more when returned to room temp.  I fill my cakes, wrap well in Press n Seal, then place a few cake pans on top (I use Magic Line, so I use an upside down pan the same size as the cake + 1 or 2 more pans on top of that, 1 if larger pan, 2 if smaller/lighter pan).  I let that set for a few hours, then remove pans and chill cakes before icing.  If covering with fondant, I chill again after applying the buttercream and before applying the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%