Confused About "cake Setteling"

Decorating By md21010 Updated 25 Jun 2013 , 11:59pm by FullHouse

md21010 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 5:08am
post #1 of 3

When do I let my cake settle? After I crumb coat? Before I crumb coat? How long do I have to let my cake settle? Do I chill my cake with crumb coat? I've had my cakes sag and bulge out and it drives me crazy! Any suggestions?

Thank you!

2 replies
MKC Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 3

AYour cake has to be cold, very cold.

Here's what I do...

- fill the cake and leave in the refrigerator for an hour. The buttercream or ganache will have hardened. - cover with buttercream or ganache. Because the buttercream/ ganache inside the cake is hard the layers will not move when your cover it with buttercream/ ganache. - leave in the refrigerator at least 4 hours...better result if overnight. - brush the ganache with a very thin coat of hot water to make it sticky. If don't use hot water when I use buttercream. - cover with fondant. Thinner the fondant, the better as it will not crush the cake.

Since I've tried this method, I've only had good results.

FullHouse Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 3

I find that my cakes settle best when at room temp.  Once they get cold, they are firmer and wind up settling more when returned to room temp.  I fill my cakes, wrap well in Press n Seal, then place a few cake pans on top (I use Magic Line, so I use an upside down pan the same size as the cake + 1 or 2 more pans on top of that, 1 if larger pan, 2 if smaller/lighter pan).  I let that set for a few hours, then remove pans and chill cakes before icing.  If covering with fondant, I chill again after applying the buttercream and before applying the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%