Folded Uniform Shirt

Decorating By Taxi2TheMoon Updated 25 Jun 2013 , 1:58am by Taxi2TheMoon

Taxi2TheMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taxi2TheMoon Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 4

AI have a customer who has ordered a cake like the one pictured here. I'd like to do the sides as though the uniform shirt and/or pants are folded in a neat pile. I feel pretty good about the top. But any suggestions on how to make the sides look like folded clothes? Thanks for any help! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3041313/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

3 replies
keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 4

Apply a thick layer of fondant to the sides so that you can "crease" a seam along the side, giving the appearance of a fold. Your line will start a inch or so in from the edge of the cake where the pockets are, then run the end of the opposite side. Unless you want a trifold, then you would circle back for the last fold. Play with the lines on a scratch piece of fondant rolled out. Try a ball tool, veining tool or any other tools you favor for lines. See which one gives you the depth of the crease you are going for. At the end of the line, at the top of the shirt and at the bottom, I would curve rather than square my fondant to give it the appearance of material. You can always "store fold" a shirt or sweatshirt and look at it from the side as inspiration.  HTH

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 4

I would do just the opposite. I would carve a small line.  Folded clothes don't poke out, there is an indentation.  Absolutely right about the curve.  Folded clothes aren't sharp.

I wanted to do that with this most recent tux cake.  I just couldn't help doing sharp corners.  I've taken so long to perfect them I find it difficult to let go.

Also, just FYI, these are far more difficult than you may realize...especially getting layers.

Taxi2TheMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taxi2TheMoon Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 1:58am
post #4 of 4

AThanks. Will let you all know how it turns out. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%