Corner Fell Off!!!

Decorating By YamunaJivana Updated 24 Jun 2013 , 6:22pm by lcubed83

YamunaJivana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YamunaJivana Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 4

I was delivering a half sheet graduation cake and while I was driving I had to stop suddenly and the graduate on the back right corner fell off and took some of the corner with her! >.< When I got to the place I tried to put the corner back in place, but you could obviously still see that something happened, when looking from the back or the side. But from the front it looked good. The graduate girl didnt break or anything either. 

It was a friend of one of my friends so I didnt charge her for decorations, only for the cake itself, which was still in perfect condition. It was just the corner that looked funky like I said from the back view and side view. I feel really terrible about it since it was their first time ordering a cake from me.

It was a lot of work so Idk should I try to offer them a $20 off next order or what should I have done. WHat would you have done? Since I didnt charge for decorations anyway, just for the cake, was it really that bad of a party foul, you know?

I'm just trying to put things in perspective since I know being cake decorators we tend to be perfectionists.

3 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 4

Did the customer notice?  I am sure it didn't look as bad as you think.  I had that happen to me once with a design on a jumbo cupcake for the birthday girl, but thankfully, the other cupcakes looked great.

YamunaJivana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YamunaJivana Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 4

Well I told him what happened, which maybe I shouldn't have done. I tried to offer $10 off but he gave me the full amount, but I don't think he had change anyways. I didn't want to discount anymore then that since I had already gave them such a discount, so I am thinking if I offer them a $20 off next order then that would give an incentive to order again and then I could make it up. 

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 4

Was the customer upset?  Or did they love the cake?  You had already given a discount.  You explained the situation.  (Which I think was the right thing to do.)  You made a repair, and left a cake that was good for pictures, and tasted good, with the amount of servings they expected.  You offered an additional discount, which the customer chose to not accept.

I think you have done enough. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%