md21010 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 3:38pm
post #1 of

AHi there! My cake starts to sag slighty after im finished decorsating it. I use ganache under fondant. Before I cover the cake in fondant I make sure my cake is at room temp. Any suggestions to keep my cake from sagging? Thank you!

12 replies
bct806 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 4:07pm
post #2 of

How long are you letting them settle? I usually let mine set overnight and have never had a problem with them sagging.

md21010 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:57am
post #3 of

Well I never new I had to let them settle.  But this last time I made a cake I let it sit at room temp for about 30 min before I covered with fondant. I normally use ganache under my fondant to so I was surprised that it started to sag. Idk what i'm doing wrong.

MKC Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:02pm
post #4 of

AI'm not sure where you read to leave it at room temperature...it's quite the opposite. Your cake has to be cold, very cold.

Here's what I do...

- fill the cake and leave in the refrigerator for an hour. The buttercream or ganache will have hardened. - cover with buttercream or ganache. Because the buttercream/ ganache inside the cake is hard the layers will not move when your cover it with buttercream/ ganache. - leave in the refrigerator at least 4 hours...better result if overnight. - brush the ganache with a very thin coat of hot water to make it sticky. If don't use hot water when I use buttercream. - cover with fondant.

You will have much better results.

MKC Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:36pm
post #5 of

A...and if your fondant is thin it will not crush the cake.

BatterUpCake Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:40pm
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKC 

I'm not sure where you read to leave it at room temperature...it's quite the opposite. Your cake has to be cold, very cold.

Here's what I do...

- fill the cake and leave in the refrigerator for an hour. The buttercream or ganache will have hardened.
- cover with buttercream or ganache. Because the buttercream/ ganache inside the cake is hard the layers will not move when your cover it with buttercream/ ganache.
- leave in the refrigerator at least 4 hours...better result if overnight.
- brush the ganache with a very thin coat of hot water to make it sticky. If don't use hot water when I use buttercream.
- cover with fondant.

You will have much better results.

The onetime I used fondant on a cold cake it sweated like crazy. You don't have that problem?

MKC Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 9:46pm
post #7 of

ADepending on the temperature ( humid or hot) it can happen...But never like crazy.

But when it's dry, I don't have this problem at all.

When I'm done with the cake, I put the cake back in the fridge and it removes any stickyness on the fondant.

You should try it again.

md21010 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 10:48pm
post #8 of

I did have my cake sweat also and I didnt know waht to do about that.

md21010 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 10:48pm
post #9 of

So after you cover with fondant you put it back in the fridge? I thought fondnat shouldnt be refrigerated?

reginaherrin Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 12:38am

I refrigerate all my fondant covered cakes.  They do sweat a bit during summer months(not so much during fall and winter) since I am in Texas and it is pretty hot but it goes away after about a hour of being out of the fridge.

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 12:40am

ABut once the fondant gets wet it gets shiny...

reginaherrin Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 1:03am

The shininess is the condensation and if you let it come to room temp, about a hour, it will dull back down and not be shiny.

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Jun 2013 , 1:09am

A

Original message sent by reginaherrin

I refrigerate all my fondant covered cakes.  They do sweat a bit during summer months(not so much during fall and winter) since I am in Texas and it is pretty hot but it goes away after about a hour of being out of the fridge.

Hmmm I'll give it another try. It is certainly easier to work with a cold cake. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%