Which Is Your Favorite Kind Of Cake You Use The Most

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 23 Jun 2013 , 4:24pm by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 2:17am
post #1 of 8

I am curious. I made a pound cake for the first time today. Not sure why I waited so long. I really wanted to see how much easier it is to carve. It was very moist and cut really clean. 

I would like to know how many use pound cakes for all of your cakes? 

Do you use them for wedding cakes?

Do you use them in the summer because they hold up better?

What are advantages to using pound cakes for everything and do people seem to mind?

I always use the WASC  but most of the stuggle because they are too moist. I find it very hard to even level without tearing .

Comments or advice welcomed.

Thanks, Wendy

7 replies
funtodecorate2 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 4:08am
post #2 of 8

ANo one has anything to say on this ?

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 4:55am
post #3 of 8

I never use pound cake. I just started freezing them and then leveling them. Definitely reduces the tearing. Not sure what summer has to do with the actual cake. The frosting maybe. 

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 6:08am
post #4 of 8

I bake pound cakes in a Bundt mold for my father's birthday cakes, since he's not big on frosting, and pound cake is one of the few types of cakes traditionally served naked.

But I've never baked a pound cake with the intention of frosting it.

Personally, I've only used the Betty Crocker pound cake mix, myself, although decades ago, when Bundt molds had "fad" status, Pillsbury offered a pound cake specifically intended for Bundt molds, and there's also a pound cake mix under the "Dromedary" brand, although I haven't actually seen it on a grocer's shelf in decades.

Haven't attempted a full scratch pound cake, but then again, the closest I've gotten to baking a full scratch cake of any kind was an old recipe based on Bisquick, which I used exactly once. (On the other hand, for cookies, the closest I've ever gotten to using a mix was my own scratch reimagining of the old Vienna Dream Bar mix [my "Innsbruck Dream Bars"]).

If it's a cake I'm actually going to eat, and there's no overriding reason to bake anything else, I'll either bake a spice cake (DH mix), or a strawberry marble cake (based on the DH white cake mix). If I'm baking somebody a chocolate cake, I use the DH "Swiss Chocolate" mix.

As stiff as pound cake batter is, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if my mixer (HB 6-speed handheld) overheats a bit when I do a pound cake (it hasn't complained, but it's not like I have a heavy-duty KA stand mixer, of the kind that also kneads bread and grinds meat, at my disposal).

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 6:28am
post #5 of 8

Love pound cakes. I make mostly mudcakes - they're the thing here - but I love pound cakes.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 7:14am
post #6 of 8

All these years i have been making butter cakes, ribbon cakes, and just found out that they are all "pound cakes" - equal quantities. Love it.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

I bake pound cakes in a Bundt mold for my father's birthday cakes, since he's not big on frosting, and pound cake is one of the few types of cakes traditionally served naked.

But I've never baked a pound cake with the intention of frosting it.

Personally, I've only used the Betty Crocker pound cake mix, myself, although decades ago, when Bundt molds had "fad" status, Pillsbury offered a pound cake specifically intended for Bundt molds, and there's also a pound cake mix under the "Dromedary" brand, although I haven't actually seen it on a grocer's shelf in decades.

Haven't attempted a full scratch pound cake, but then again, the closest I've gotten to baking a full scratch cake of any kind was an old recipe based on Bisquick, which I used exactly once. (On the other hand, for cookies, the closest I've ever gotten to using a mix was my own scratch reimagining of the old Vienna Dream Bar mix [my "Innsbruck Dream Bars"]).

If it's a cake I'm actually going to eat, and there's no overriding reason to bake anything else, I'll either bake a spice cake (DH mix), or a strawberry marble cake (based on the DH white cake mix). If I'm baking somebody a chocolate cake, I use the DH "Swiss Chocolate" mix.

As stiff as pound cake batter is, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if my mixer (HB 6-speed handheld) overheats a bit when I do a pound cake (it hasn't complained, but it's not like I have a heavy-duty KA stand mixer, of the kind that also kneads bread and grinds meat, at my disposal).

You ever decide to try baking pound cake from scratch, my absolute favorite is cream cheese pound cake. Really not hard at all. I could eat the whole pound cake by myself. I have heard a lot about Madeira, which is a type of pound cake. Just never made that myself.

funtodecorate2 Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 8

This is the recipe I used

2 1/2 cup sugar

1 cup butter

7 eggs

6 TB corn starch

2 5/8 cups flour

1 cup heavy whipping cream

2 TB vanilla

James, It  was fine with my hand mixer :)    I read reviews and some said too much vanilla, or eggs, but I found both to be a great taste.

Very easy to make . I just started watching Cake Boss LOL  and I notice on all their show anyway that they use sponge or pound cake. It's pretty obivous because t

they through them around and they don't fall apart, At least not on the show. I was curious if that was the going thing now. As far as summer question I wondered since they are so dense compared to the WASC if frosting got a little warm would it hold up better than a WASC cake that is already so moist.

Mcaulir, what mud cake recipe do you use and what is so special about a mud cake ? 

SuzieD, do you make pound cake wedding cakes? or use something else?

Thanks for replies, always love to learn

Wendy 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%