Cream Cheese/freezer?

Decorating By Baking Sis Updated 23 Jun 2013 , 3:27am by Pyro

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 5

I tend to buy cream cheese when it is on sale.  Usually I keep it in the fridge, but my mom told me it could be frozen.  I took some out of the freezer one day and put it in the fridge to thaw overnight before making some cream cheese frosting.  Then I stored the container of frosting in the fridge until this morning.

Baked a carrot cake for the family reunion today and when I went to ice it with with the cream cheese frosting, it is very soft...I mean, really soft and starts to slide down the sides of the cake!!  I have made cream cheese frosting and iced cakes for years; do you think it is acting this way because something changed in the cream cheese once it was frozen??   

Thank goodness it is just for family icon_biggrin.gif.  Most of them won't even notice as long as I keep it refrigerated until serving time!

4 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 5

Never heard of it being too soft once it was thawed. Crumbly or grainy sometimes. How was it before you put in the fridge? Maybe you need more ps?

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 5

It seemed fine after I mixed it and put it in the fridge...made little peaks and held the shape.  Now it is just droopy and when I put it in the bag to do the cake borders, it came out the tube tip just when I was filling the bag!! Not sure why this happened; never had this trouble before.  Guess I should have added more ps, but it was perfect after mixing.  Live and learn....

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct806 

Never heard of it being too soft once it was thawed. Crumbly or grainy sometimes.

Ditto

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 23 Jun 2013 , 3:27am
post #5 of 5

I had something like that happen, it was a cake overloaded with strawberries. The cream cheese became so soft that my top layer slid halfway off the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%