Fundamental Difference Between A Cake Recipe, And A Cake Donut Recipe?

Baking By TheNerdyBaker Updated 24 Jun 2013 , 12:28pm by AnnieCahill

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 5

OK, so my boss is toying with the idea of opening a second business down the road with the name of the game being specialty donuts.

So I was just curious if anyone has tried messing around with their tried and true cake recipes in order to convert it to a donut recipe?

From what I can tell, they look to be somewhat similar in make-up, with the addition of slightly more levener and less liquid.

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to recipe composition/ratios/chemistry though, so what do I know?!

Any thoughts?  Any good cake or yeast donut recipes you would be willing to share?

Thanks!

4 replies
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 4:12am
post #2 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/a/yeast-raised-donuts 

Here is the only recipe on this site for donuts. Not sure about making cake batter into donut batter but I would be interested if anyone else has done it. I have heard of making a cake mix into donut batter though. Can't be too much different if doing it from scratch. There is a place in Virginia that decorates theirs as if they were cupcakes. They are extremely popular. Even featured in a magazine.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 4:52am
post #3 of 5

They have the little pans for baked donuts that you are supposed to bake cake in. They work great and are super good. It has been so long since I did it, that I forget if you are supposed to modify the batter. I left my pan in the drawer under the oven in my last apartment, when I moved 7 years ago :-(

MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:15am
post #4 of 5

Try Dawn...DDA...they have outstanding mixes.  Seriously can't be beat.  Donuts are a completely different animal though.  Especially Yeast donuts.  

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 5

Yeah, the two types of recipes are not interchangeable.  Two different animals.  I have also been researching doughnut recipes.  Check out Amish recipes.  Their doughnuts are mind-blowing.  True story.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%