Transporting A 4 Tier Cake

Decorating By kvand Updated 20 Jun 2013 , 2:58am by Franluvsfrosting

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 16

I am making a wedding cake in a couple of weeks.  I have made many 3 tier cakes already assembled but this will be my first 4 where the bottom tier is not foam.  I was thinking of using SPS. (I have not used it yet but I ordered it and the reviews sound amazing)  The design has fondant/swags drapes for borders with little flowers where the drapes/swags meet so I don't really want to be at the venue rolling fondant and making drapes for the top tier.  Do you think SPS will handle the transport of a fully assembled 4 tier cake? I will be driving a caravan with the back seats stowed (lots of room).

15 replies
kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 16

I use SPS but I haven't tried 4 tiers.  I usually stack the bottom three and assemble the rest on site.  I can't carry the weight of 4 tiers stacked.  3 tiers 12, 10 and 8 are heavy.  14, 12, 10 is very heavy for me.

kvand Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 16

I have muscles to bring with me;) .. (hubby). so I am not that worried about the weight of it.  I am more worried about it taking a topple while I am driving there.  That would be totally devastating to me.  I have never had it happen and I think it might kill me...lol.  I almost want to build a 4 tier and take it for a drive before hand just to test it out..lol.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:20am
post #4 of 16

I use plain ol' wooden dowels in the tiers and a central dowel through the whole cake.  Transported a 5 tier this way a couple of weekends ago with no problems.  I don't use the SPS system but lots of people say great things about it.

If you are super-worried, buy a Cake Safe.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:49am
post #5 of 16

AI successfully transported a 4 tier fully stacked and decorated a few weeks ago using sps with out any trouble. and I would like to add I traveled about 45 miles and that I live about a mile down a dirt road, so I think that support system got tested good.

kvand Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:51am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by didavista 

I successfully transported a 4 tier fully stacked and decorated a few weeks ago using sps with out any trouble. and I would like to add I traveled about 45 miles and that I live about a mile down a dirt road, so I think that support system got tested good.

Thank you for this! It makes me feel much better :)  no dirt roads where I am going so no need to worry.  I know I will still be a giant ball of stress while I am driving it there but I will sleep darn good once that one is delivered! lol

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 2:05am
post #7 of 16

I don't use SPS, I just use bubble tea straws and dowels.  I transported a tiered cake this weekend that was over 3 feet tall.  It was 4 tiers with a 3inch riser in between each tier. I had to leave the top tier off, but that's only because it wouldn't fit in the car with it on.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 6:41am
post #8 of 16

I transport all my cakes fully assembled, since I hate hanging around a venue ;-) I use bubble tea straws, a center dowel, and freeze for about an hour before I leave. I don't have problems, unless I don't freeze or don't use the dowel for some reason. But I don't plan to forget either, ever again, after my top tier slid last weekend, after I already got it to the venue! I got it there perfectly, (I checked it as soon as I got there) and then had to take it down a steep ramp... got it up the creaky service elevator and opened the box and almost pooped my pants when I saw the top tier hanging off the edge of the second tier! Never again...

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 6:59am
post #9 of 16

AHi all, i'm only delivering a 3 tier on sat(and attending wedding also which is probaly worse) hubby and i checked out venue yesterday, in a stunning castle about an hrs drive away, very very worried as havent done this before, it will be assembled before hand, and its very heavy as bottom tier is 12 inch fruit, 2and 3 is sponge, its up steep hills bumpy roads, lots of gravel leading to castle, oh, and to top it all its raining on Sat, but then i do live in the land of rain, rain and more rain, S.Wales, GB.

nannycook Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 6:59am
post #10 of 16

AAny help will be greatly needed.x

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 8:30am
post #11 of 16

AOf course I highly recommend SPS. However,t I roll out swags st the last minute before leaving. Roll out the fondant, cut the strip, then roll it onto heavy clear vinyl, and roll it up. Transport. The rolls in a heavy duty zip lock type bag. At the venue unroll and apply to the cake.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 16

Oh man, what a good idea for swags, leah_s!

As for SPS, I always use it.  I've transported several 4 teir cakes (on my lap!), stacked without any issues.  I know a lot of people will cringe at that, but I just feel better being able to apply my "built in" air shocks icon_wink.gif   I'll never use anything else!

nannycook Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:38pm
post #13 of 16

AKearniesue, what is sps?is that an american term for something?

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 16

Nanny, Leah is the queen of SPS...here is a thread that will explain it for you...

http://cakecentral.com/t/603925/sps-instructions

nannycook Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 3:08pm
post #15 of 16

AThank you i also googled it, interesting, you dont have to use though do you? Dowells work ok tho dont they? Hope so anyway.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 2:58am
post #16 of 16

I just recently delivered a four tier cake, stacked using the SPS system and it went off without a hitch. I had to drive it about two hours from my house to the venue. My neighborhood has gravel roads with potholes all over the place and the area the cake was delivered to is an old, waterfront area with EXTREMELY ridged, bumpy roads. I thought my fillings were going to rattle out of my head by the time we got there but the cake was perfect. I add flowers or extras on site but now that I use SPS I am completely confident driving them stacked and my husband is capable of carrying a four tier stacked cake. :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%