Frosting Needs Refrigeration?

Baking By mommyb Updated 18 Jun 2013 , 8:32pm by CakeRae80

mommyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyb Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 9:58am
post #1 of 6

How do I know if a frosting will need refrigeration. I usually make my BC with milk and butter and it's fine left out, but I came across this recipe and wasn't sure.

Thanks!

5 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 6

Because of the sour cream, it will need refrigeration.

mommyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyb Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 6

Ugh! That's what I was thinking but hoping it would be the opposite! Oh well. Thanks!

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 6

I was told that when you use anything perishable like milk, cream cheese, sour cream, etc. you should refrigerate it.  Now we leave butter out on our table covered of course for a few days.  So if I use water and butter, I don't necessicarly need it in the fridge, but I do anyways.  I always make sure that if I can't fit everything in the fridge (after they are completed) I don't use the above items. How long do you leave your BC with milk out for?

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 6

Buttercream can be left out for quite awhile (unless it's sweltering heat), like 2 weeks, but I put my in the fridge until I use it.  

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Buttercream can be left out for quite awhile (unless it's sweltering heat), like 2 weeks, but I put my in the fridge until I use it.  

I really didn't know this, I always pop mine in the fridge and keep it no longer than a month (depending on what it is) if it's straight BC I'll keep it that long. Being in the fridge it might last for longer than that too???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%