How Do I Make The Flowers On This Cake?

Decorating By TJ_Cakes Updated 25 Jun 2013 , 4:08am by auntginn

TJ_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJ_Cakes Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 1:01am
post #1 of 14

I was ask to make this wedding cake, flowers are my downside so I'm taking this as a challenge so I can get better at them. What would you make the flowers out of on this cake???  Any advise would be great and would you put a wire in them to stick to the cake or just use frosting or something else? Thank you!

13 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 3:23am
post #2 of 14

ANo wires in the cake!

These flowers probably don't need wires anyway. You can make them out of gumpaste or fondant and use royal icing to stick then to the cake.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 4:43am
post #3 of 14

Or "glue" them on with melted white chocolate.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 14

I use white chocolate to attach flowers and it holds up through everything. Where as royal icing doesn't go in the refrigerator. Those flowers aren't as scary as most because they are sort of flat and they all touch the cake....so this is a good chance to get more comfortable with them. Those flowers don't require wires at all. Nothing to fear!

TJ_Cakes Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 12:01am
post #5 of 14

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

cakechemist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechemist Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 12:37am
post #6 of 14

AWilton sugar sheets would probably work really well for these (they are mostly flat) and it's way easier to use than gumpaste. For more structured flowers, gumpaste all the way, but for flat blossoms it might be overkill (both time and cost wise)

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 2:34am
post #7 of 14

I would do gumpaste or fondant. If you actually go the Wilton sugar sheets route, please try them first. I used them on a cake once and they were so disgusting. The kids were actually peeling them off of the cake. I was mortified. Thankfully it was my nephews cake. Never again!

mpatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpatko Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 4:49am
post #8 of 14

A

Original message sent by bct806

I used them on a cake once and they were so disgusting. The kids were actually peeling them off of the cake. I was mortified. Thankfully it was my nephews cake. Never again!

I agree. I would only use them as a last resort. Plus, if your goal is to improve your flower making skills, use gumpaste.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 10:58am
post #9 of 14

ASugar sheets are not cheap. What are they now? $4 a sheet?

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 14

Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly are sugar sheets?  I'm familiar with frosting sheets and wafer paper only.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn 

Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly are sugar sheets?  I'm familiar with frosting sheets and wafer paper only.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2B9EA0CC-1E0B-C910-EA79A68284CCC8F2&killnav=1

They are edible (blech!). I don't think they have any expiration date on them. You can cut them, punch them out with. or just put them on the cake as is. I was pretty excited when I found them, until I tried them. You can get them in plain colors or in patterns.

TJ_Cakes Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 6:13am
post #12 of 14

Thank you ladies for your replies, I was excited to try to get better with flowers but the lady called today and wants the flowers on the cake fake. I guess its going to be a pretty simple cake if I'm just adding fake flowers. Although she says "I'm not picky I just want the cake to be perfect", no pressure LOL!

brendajarmusz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendajarmusz Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 3:14am
post #13 of 14

AI was just going to add my opinion on the sugar sheet subject. They are gross and a complete waste of money.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:08am
post #14 of 14

Oh... I've seen these.  I thought they were just frosting sheets and Wilton just had some in different colors.  lol.. What did we expect from Wilton?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%