Making An Edible Axe/hatchet?

Decorating By Sweetface421 Updated 24 Feb 2014 , 12:34am by ejmitc02

Sweetface421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetface421 Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 2

I have a pretty interesting cake to make this week - an American Psycho-themed cake.

And of course, I ALWAYS say I can do something before I've actually figured out how to do it ;)

The cake is designed to have a realistic-looking hatchet/axe look like it's hacking through the top tier of the cake so it has to be angled off of the cake.  I've designed it so that part of the handle of the hatchet/axe will be able to lie against the top of the second tier, so that might be my saving grace.

I'm considering creating a silicone mold and making the hatchet with white chocolate or gumpaste but I think it might be too heavy. I could make it with krispy treats but I've done that before with a guitar neck and I have a feeling it would be fragile and the handle would probably break off (I'm not delivering it - it's being picked up).  I've considered making the handle out of styrofoam too - that might be my best bet.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them :)

Thanks so much!

1 reply
ejmitc02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ejmitc02 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 12:34am
post #2 of 2

My boyfriend wants the same exact cake! What did you end up using for the ax? I've been trying to decide what direction to go in and I'm torn. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%