Decorating By soldiernurse Updated 25 Aug 2013 , 6:19pm by soldiernurse

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 2:47pm
post #31 of 50

got it, tks!!thumbs_up.gif

soldiernurse Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 2:50pm
post #32 of 50

any help with the ganache??hat1.gif..is there any love out there???

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 4:46pm
post #33 of 50

ALots of love. I'm a buttercream girl so I can't help with this type of ganache.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:03pm
post #35 of 50

I don't use ganache, I use buttercream so I can't help much.  But if you have never used it before I would not try out anything super new on such a big event/cake just in case something comes up that you don't know how to fix/handle.  And if you do decide to use ganache then I would not use chocolate under ivory fondant since it may show through a bit.  I know I have had a chocolate cake show though a bit when I haven't put a thick enough crumb coat on the cake and am using light colored fondant.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 5:33pm
post #36 of 50

AI switched to ganache under fondant a few months ago -- LOVE it! Don't worry about dk chocolate showing through ivory fondant unless you're rolling it paper thin, it's not an issue. Watch the "Inspired by Michelle" 3 part ganache series on youtube, it's very helpful. Remember to add an extra day to your decorating to allow the ganache to set before you apply the fondant. Ganache is very forgiving, I love the crisp edges! Good luck and congrats on your daughters wedding!

soldiernurse Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:25pm
post #37 of 50

Help!! CC: I'm getting the base of this cake..[the bottom square and the round] made and I need to know how much the cake will weigh..it's 4 tiers, 6, 9, 12, and 16....ea tier 4" high...each layer will be tort and filled with a buttercream dam, crumbcoated in ganache and covered in fondant..simple rope borders at the base of ea tier..what do you think??icon_eek.gif

reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:40pm
post #38 of 50

It so hard to tell without picking it up or anything but if its all cake it could weigh 30-50 pounds maybe? Just curious why do you need to know how much it weighs?

soldiernurse Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:42pm
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

It so hard to tell without picking it up or anything but if its all cake it could weigh 30-50 pounds maybe? Just curious why do you need to know how much it weighs?

The guy that is making the bases needs to know so he can make it strong enough to hold the cake..

reginaherrin Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 3:52pm
post #40 of 50

Gotcha, then I would tell him to make sure it can hold at least 75 pounds just to be on the save side.

soldiernurse Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 4:37pm
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

Gotcha, then I would tell him to make sure it can hold at least 75 pounds just to be on the save side.

thanks Regina!!icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

soldiernurse Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 7:18pm
post #42 of 50

ACC, how much MMF do you think I will need to cover this cake? It will need to be tinted ivory. Wilton ivory gel or combo colors of yellow and brown? I'd prefer Americolor but can't get it. Can it store in a plastic painter's pail until October? Remember, the bottom 2 tiers are not cake. The cake layers are 6, 9, 12, 16....each tier 4 ins. Round.

Nickithebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickithebaker Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 5:19am
post #43 of 50

I'm probably not the best to give advice, but based on my experience today with homemade MMF one batch will cover a 12" round if it's 4" high.  You will probably have a little bit left over.  I would think your going to need at least 4 batches.  I read on one of the tutorials that technically it won't go bad, its just sugar.  If you grease it really well and wrap it up a few times with plastic wrap, and then stick it in a zip lock bag and suck the air out.. I would guess you will probably be ok. 

This is the chart I used to figure out how much fondant I would need:  http://www.globalsugarart.com/how-much-fondant-do-need-pg-8.html   

That being said, I would NOT use that stuff to make the cake you want to make.  It's a pain in the but, it's sticky and it wants to fall apart on you when you pick it up.  Maybe I made it wrong, I dunno.  If you've made it before and had good luck with it go ahead.  If not, do your self a favor and buy it.  There is a reason alot of the pros on here don't make it.   I ended up buying Fondarific, which is expensive - nearly twice the cost of Satin Ice but I did a bit of research and read alot of reviews.    Maybe if you use "The Mat" MMF is easier to use.  To get mine to roll out I had to add a bunch of crisco and then use a ton of powder sugar (like half of a cup for an 8x8 cake!  Maybe someone else has some better input, that was after all, my first and only experience with fondant!  :)  

Good luck with your cake, I love that design!  

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 11:27am
post #44 of 50

I have more problems with store bought fondant than MMF. WIlton's is hard to work with and Satin Ice is too soft for my

imagenthatnj Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 12:26pm
post #45 of 50
soldiernurse Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 5:32pm
post #46 of 50

A

Original message sent by Nickithebaker

I'm probably not the best to give advice, but based on my experience today with homemade MMF one batch will cover a 12" round if it's 4" high.  You will probably have a little bit left over.  I would think your going to need at least 4 batches.  I read on one of the tutorials that technically it won't go bad, its just sugar.  If you grease it really well and wrap it up a few times with plastic wrap, and then stick it in a zip lock bag and suck the air out.. I would guess you will probably be ok. 

This is the chart I used to figure out how much fondant I would need:  http://www.globalsugarart.com/how-much-fondant-do-need-pg-8.html    

That being said, I would NOT use that stuff to make the cake you want to make.  It's a pain in the but, it's sticky and it wants to fall apart on you when you pick it up.  Maybe I made it wrong, I dunno.  If you've made it before and had good luck with it go ahead.  If not, do your self a favor and buy it.  There is a reason alot of the pros on here don't make it.   I ended up buying Fondarific, which is expensive - nearly twice the cost of Satin Ice but I did a bit of research and read alot of reviews.    Maybe if you use "The Mat" MMF is easier to use.  To get mine to roll out I had to add a bunch of crisco and then use a ton of powder sugar (like half of a cup for an 8x8 cake!  Maybe someone else has some better input, that was after all, my first and only experience with fondant!  :)  

Good luck with your cake, I love that design!  

Thank you! I used Wiltons fondant chart and came up with 199 ozs of fondant (12.4 lbs) so I compared it to GSA which is the same but neither had the amout for a 9 in pan. Does anyone know why or how to figure it? The chart says to use 24 ozs for an 8 in...I figured 25 ozs for a 9 in...to be safe, I thought I'd make 15 lbs instead of 12 lbs..is that about right?

soldiernurse Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 5:34pm
post #47 of 50

A

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

I have more problems with store bought fondant than MMF. WIlton's is hard to work with and Satin Ice is too soft for my

Good to know..tks!

soldiernurse Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 5:39pm
post #48 of 50

A[quote name="imagenthatnj" url="/t/759867/how-do-i-make-this-cake/30#post_7434995"]You might want to take a look at this.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/06/how-to-make-homemade-fondant/[/quote]

Good visuals..mixing the 2 fondants is interesting, I'll try that too..one day soon..dont want to try anything new with this cake.I'm a craftsy member and have learned a lot..tks!

imagenthatnj Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 6:08pm
post #49 of 50

FYI, when you try, the author of that article is here at CC (EnglishCakeLady).

http://cakecentral.com/g/u/827927/EnglishCakeLady/photosets/1/

https://www.facebook.com/theroyalbakery

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%