Need Oven Advise For 2Nd Kitchen

Business By CakesbyMichele Updated 20 Jun 2013 , 9:58pm by MimiFix

CakesbyMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMichele Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 6

I'm in the very beginning stages of planning a 2nd kitchen.  My DH is bugging me about picking out an oven now.  I need help!  What is a good oven to get?  I do anywhere from 2 weddings and 2 good sized party cakes a week at this point but want to continue to grow.  I want a good oven but I also don't want to break the bank on one either.  Thanks!

5 replies
southconft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southconft Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 1:16am
post #2 of 6

AI was looking for this info too... I'm opening my first bakery... the equ. Makes my head dizzy... what kind of oven? What kind of mixer? Do I need a cooler for the cakes? The dummy cakes? What did you do you first store?

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 6:12am
post #3 of 6

http://pinterest.com/pin/9148005465592920/

i'm a fan of this one. a used one though. i'm not sure though if it would fit the larger round cakes, but this is my dream oven.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 6

I have a convection oven at home that has the option of regular bake and convection bake. If I select convection bake I punch in the temp I would use for regular baking and the temp is automatically adjusted (lower by 25 degrees).

When I had just a regular oven I baked my cakes at 325 degrees. With the convection bake I punch in 375 degrees, the temp is automatically lowered to 350 degrees, and I get the same results (moist cake, no "hump"). I have NOT noticed the baking time being a lot shorter using the convection oven but I can bake so much more at a time by using all 3 racks in the oven.

I can bake an entire 4 tier cake (2 12" round, 2 10" round, 2 8" round, 2 6" round) at the same time. Takes about 1 1/2 hours (baking time).

The main thing you have to look for is a true convection oven. Some ovens call themselves convection ovens because they have a fan, but they are not really convection ovens. The oven I have has a heating element behind the fan so the air that is blown into the oven is the same temp as the oven. This is really the only way the entire oven is the same temp causing even baking.

The only negative I have is sometimes (not every time) the top the cake gets hard, almost crust like. I trim the top off of each cake so it doesn't matter and it doesn't affect the rest of the cake - just the top. I think it is because of the fan blowing on it but I am not sure. Like I said, it is only sometimes this happens.

Cupcaks, cookies and pies bake wonderfully too.

There is also a convection roast setting that makes the beautiful crispy skin on turkey.

I own the Samsung FTQ38LWGX. I bought it from Lowes for $1400 including installation.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 6

I would get a full sheet oven,  preferably from someone who refurbishes them who will give you a warranty. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a full sheet oven. And then get one of these if you don't have one.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 6

Agree, you must have an oven that holds full sheet pans. And a cooling rack, pictured above. Bakeries and restaurants go out of business often, so you shouldn't have much trouble buying used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%