What Kind Of Fondant Do You Use? I Need Some Suggestions

Decorating By Smckinney07 Updated 15 Jun 2013 , 8:07pm by Drxkfairy

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 6:05am
post #1 of 4

AI'm wondering what type of fondant everyone uses. More orders are coming in and I simply don't have time to make my own fondant always. I love Pearl Clay but the Pettinice is too soft without the chocolate (and I think that's more for decorations than coverage, please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, not all of my customers enjoy chocolate as much as I do). I use Wilton for decorations sometimes but even with flavoring I don't like covering cakes with it. I know many rave about Satin Ice, but it's so dry, I can't seem to get good results with it. Fondarific/Duff are too soft. I've tried hybrids that have given me nice results but I'd really like something consistent. 

I recently discovered Nu-Wrap in Buttercream and Vanilla (I worry that the buttercream would be too soft as well) I've only found them in very large buckets though. I read some great reviews on FondX. 

Also,  Albert Usters Massa and Carma Massa Ticino Tropic sound wonderful but a bit pricier than I care to get into. 

3 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 4

Albert Ulster Massa Grischuna and Carma Ticino Tropic are wonderful and worth the price.  I tested a number of different fondants last year, and they are the only two I would use on parts to be eaten. I use Wilton for cake boards and decorations. It is less expensive, especially with a Michael's coupon, and I can buy it locally. It dries relatively quickly so it is good for boards and decorations that won't be eaten.  Satin Ice smells terrible and I don't use it at all.  Here is a link to a good CC discussion and includes the comparison. 

http://cakecentral.com/t/704500/which-fondant-is-the-best

Surprisingly, the good stuff is not that expensive, it just comes in large amounts.

These prices are from last year, but I just purchased 2 tubs of Massa Grischuna this month and the price is the same.  The Grischuna is my go to because it tastes the best, handles beautifully, it comes in 2 days, and the company is awesome.  

Cost - I paid 64.00 for 10 lbs Satin Ice (6.40 a pound) + 5.44 CA sales tax = 6.94 per lb

61.97 for 13.5 oz Grischuna (4.65 a pound) plus 25.00 shipping = 6.50 per lb
79.99 for 15.4 lbs of Tropic (5.22 a pound) plus 15.00 shipping = 6.20 per lb

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 4

AI did recently purchase Messa Tropic. I didn't think it tasted as good as Fondarific. It works like a dream. Not to soft, not to hard, great workability. I did find it a bit on the gritty side.

Because of the taste, I'm back to Fondarific.

Drxkfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Drxkfairy Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 4

I use Satin Ice, Fondx 

Here are some websites i use 

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?q=fondant

http://www.caljavaonline.com/rolledfondants1.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%