Overkneaded Fondant Fix

Decorating By StaceFaceCakes Updated 17 Jun 2013 , 12:25am by StaceFaceCakes

StaceFaceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceFaceCakes Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 4:05am
post #1 of 6

Hello! Can overkneaded fondant be salvaged? (Satin Ice)

5 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 5:49am
post #2 of 6

AI wasn't aware that you could overknead fondant. What happened to your fondant that you think it's overkneaded?

CreationsbyNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsbyNicole Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 6

In my experience once it is overkneaded, it is gone.  You can try letting it rest, and then maybe adding a tiny bit of glycerin but once it starts to break down and fall apart, I haven't had experience saving it.  Sorry :(

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 12:25am
post #4 of 6

I suggest wrapping it well, let it sit overnight at room temp, and then add in 1/3 to 1/2 fresh fondant.

StaceFaceCakes Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:22am
post #5 of 6

I saved it! I added in some gumpaste and it make it elastic and smooth enough to cover a 14" square tier. (the bottom green tier)

I'm over Satin Ice fondant. Really upset at how easily it can be overkneaded (elephant skinned), especially when coloring. And don't get me started on the air bubbles. I'm thinking of writing the company. Any suggestions on other fondant brands?

Thanks bakers!

StaceFaceCakes Posted 17 Jun 2013 , 12:25am
post #6 of 6

IamPam. Overkneaded means that it tears super easily and doesn't maintain its cohesion and elasticity. I'm experiencing this with Satin ice when I have to dye custom colors. I am almost scared to knead Satin Ice at all now! :( But gumpaste really saved my "elephant" skin. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%