Do You Cover Or No Cover Your Cardboard Base For The Tiers?

Decorating By mareg Updated 18 Jun 2013 , 5:56pm by CWR41

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 9

I just want to know if anything bad will happen if I don't cover in plastic???  Any thoughts?

8 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 9

I cover mine if I'm making tiers as for a wedding cake, etc, but if I am carving the cake and need the support of the board then I do not cover it.  I would worry that the plastic, paper or foil would get into the cake.  Hope that makes sense.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg 

I just want to know if anything bad will happen if I don't cover in plastic???  Any thoughts?

Corrugated cardboard cake circles are made for this purpose... no covering required.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 9

Cake cricles should always be covered with some kind of plastic coated paper.  Otherwise the grease from the icing will soak into it.  It also will leave a 'cardboard taste to the cake :(

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 9

Never.  High-production facilities that make over 2,000 8" round or over 3,000 1/4 sheet decorated cakes per day don't take time to cover boards!  Do it if you want or if you've got the time (and expect the possibility of bits getting into the cake when it's sliced, other than that, nothing bad will happen except maybe a lawsuit for choking on inedible pieces of plastic).

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 1:27am
post #6 of 9

I don't cover them.  With respect to Kakeladi, I've never had the grease from the icing soak through and no one in 7 years has ever told me that there was a cardboard taste to the cake.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 15 Jun 2013 , 3:43am
post #7 of 9

AMareg, I just want to know for sure you mean the littke thin rounds that go underneath each tier of cake, and not the board the entire decorated cake sits on right? I'm sure you mean the littke catdboards, but I see so many cakes on uncovered boards that I wanted to ask.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 9

If the boards will show, then yes I cover them.  

If the boards are inside a stacked cake, then no I do not.  

There are different kinds of boards.  The uncoated kind will show grease stains from the icing like this one that I forgot to cover: http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1216692/a/1217692/this-was-put-together-pretty-quick-when-i-was-really-tiered-as-evidenced-by-me-forgetting-to-put-foil-on-the-board-how-do-you-forget-that-i-had-just-seen-one-of-thanhs-cakes-with-the-lines-on-the-corners-so-i-took-that-design-idea-for-this/

There are others that have a wax coating that do not show any grease stains at all.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg 

I must have misread the question... the thread title is different from OP's first line.  When talking about presentation boards (drums or base boards), I'm a stickler for covering them because presentation is everything and it should look professional.  Internal boards -- no.  Can't stand too see any corrugation that shows though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%