My First Tiered Cake. Help!!!!

Decorating By Jazzy90Gurl Updated 14 Jun 2013 , 7:57pm by Jazzy90Gurl

Jazzy90Gurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazzy90Gurl Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 2:15am
post #1 of 9

I've been lurking around here for awhile and I love this site. I usually do cupcakes but now I'm doing my first tiered cake for my 3 year old nieces party. I got the Duff Goldman Tiered Cake Pan Collection so the cake will be 6" 8" 9". I also have 96 oz of Fondarific Fondant to cover the cake. I'm just confused as to how to make each tier a different flavor without wasting batter (I want to do the WASC cake but have it chocolate, and vanilla and the top tier wish be filed with strawberry jam per my nieces request lol). Can anyone help me out with this my math skills seem to fly out the window when trying to figure this all out. Also is the amount of fondant I have enough to cover the whole cake if each tier is two layers not huge layers but still two layers. Thanks in advance! 

*PS I posted on another thread but meant to post it here. Oops

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 2:51am
post #2 of 9

AOk, first things first. Your design is not symmetrical. Should be 6/8/10. second, go to the Wilton batter amount and baking time chart found in the back of every W book, or Google it. The chart will give you batter amounts for every size pan. third there's a good chart for how much fondant on www.satinfinefoods.com

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 3:14am
post #3 of 9

Actually, whether it's 6/8/9 or 6/8/10 has nothing to do with whether or not it's symmetrical; it has to do with whether it's linear. (I'd throw in a sticking-out-tongue emoticon here, but it doesn't seem to bring up the graphic from this editor.)

6/8/10 is linear; 6/8/9 is, I dunno; maybe parabolic; with only those data points, it could fit an awful lot of curves.

Jazzy90Gurl Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 4:03am
post #4 of 9

I had an odd feeling about the set having 6/8/9 pans i felt it would be off. Would it just affect the appearance if I kept the bottom 9 or would it also affect stability as well? I really appreciate the help I feel so clueless jumping into this cake and I only have nine days till delivery. 

ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 4:38am
post #5 of 9

AWhat about doing two 9" as a tall cake with a 6" on top?.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 4:58am
post #6 of 9

I do 1" and 2" size differences every so often, even mixed up in one cake. Not every overall design will look nice that way, but it can work.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 4:59am
post #7 of 9

I like to break these rules often, and whoever wrote them is probably is still stuck on Tuk n' Ruffle and swiss dots.

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 9

AI love CC, only came across it by accident, i'm in the UK, recently started making cakes and got my first biggy next Sat, a 3tier 12 inch fruit for bottom tier ,then 10 and 8 fir the next two tiers, but wait for it, after visiting my local cake cake decorating shop today i decided to put another tier on, and finish it off with a 6inch, what do all you very experienced cake makers think of that? I haven't told the bride yet was gonna suprise her, she wont mind what i do as she's a frien and colleague, i have made a mophead from hydrageas and thought it would look better on a 6inch rather than the 8 inch as originally planned.

Jazzy90Gurl Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 9

As from doing two 9" with a 6" I'd have to asked if its okay I know she's really looking for more of a classic tier I might just have to get a 10" pan so it's more uniform. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%