SourLemonz Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:47am
post #1 of

AAre there other ways to decorate the character pan cakes, other then using the horrible star tip? I hate the final look of those cakes...I would like to know how to make them look more "polished" (can't think of the correct word). I guess I am asking how to get away from that homemade look. Thanks!

7 replies
auntginn Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 6:09am
post #2 of

They were made for home baker's so really to answer your question, I guess you could try flooding.

manddi Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 6:14am
post #3 of

AI've never done this but I think you'd be able to cover with fondant then place fondant cutouts of the various shapes to add the color and details.

sanielle Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:44pm
post #4 of

I wondered this too, the flooding idea sounds intersting!

sanielle Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:45pm
post #5 of

What about cutting the top flat and then using buttercream transfer, has anyone tried that?

Spooky_789 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 3:32pm
post #6 of

My neice's boyfriend's birthday is Monday.  I told him that I'd make him a bday cake.  He really likes TMNT, and I happen to have a Michaelangelo character pan.  I'm trying to decide whether to do that, or do a round cake and carve a head out of it, then cover in fondant.

If I do end up doing the character pan, I will NOT be using the star tip.  I'd probably use a Tip 12, pipe on the colors, smooth them with a spatula, then go back over with a Viva paper towel.  The eye mask, knee and elbow "pads" would be done in fondant.

Since this is a gift, I'm torn between going all out, or going very easy.  Not sure which cake would be which. lol

auntginn Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 2:01am
post #7 of

Whenever I'm giving cakes as a gift, I go all out, gives me a chance to try new techniques.  If it were me I'd want to make a standing TMNT, I think it would be way cool.  Just saying.

Apti Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 6:36am
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourLemonz 

Are there other ways to decorate the character pan cakes, other then using the horrible star tip? I hate the final look of those cakes...I would like to know how to make them look more "polished" (can't think of the correct word). I guess I am asking how to get away from that homemade look. Thanks!

In my opinion, the short answer is no.   I have been hobby baking for 3 years and the first thing I learned was don't use the character pans.  I have enough skills now to carve the shapes and do buttercream and/or fondant details.   Here's a link to the one character cake I've ever done. 

http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/267

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%