Character Cake Pans

Decorating By SourLemonz Updated 14 Jun 2013 , 6:38am by Apti

SourLemonz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SourLemonz Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:47am
post #1 of 8

AAre there other ways to decorate the character pan cakes, other then using the horrible star tip? I hate the final look of those cakes...I would like to know how to make them look more "polished" (can't think of the correct word). I guess I am asking how to get away from that homemade look. Thanks!

7 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 6:09am
post #2 of 8

They were made for home baker's so really to answer your question, I guess you could try flooding.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 6:14am
post #3 of 8

AI've never done this but I think you'd be able to cover with fondant then place fondant cutouts of the various shapes to add the color and details.

sanielle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanielle Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 8

I wondered this too, the flooding idea sounds intersting!

sanielle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanielle Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 8

What about cutting the top flat and then using buttercream transfer, has anyone tried that?

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 8

My neice's boyfriend's birthday is Monday.  I told him that I'd make him a bday cake.  He really likes TMNT, and I happen to have a Michaelangelo character pan.  I'm trying to decide whether to do that, or do a round cake and carve a head out of it, then cover in fondant.

If I do end up doing the character pan, I will NOT be using the star tip.  I'd probably use a Tip 12, pipe on the colors, smooth them with a spatula, then go back over with a Viva paper towel.  The eye mask, knee and elbow "pads" would be done in fondant.

Since this is a gift, I'm torn between going all out, or going very easy.  Not sure which cake would be which. lol

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 2:01am
post #7 of 8

Whenever I'm giving cakes as a gift, I go all out, gives me a chance to try new techniques.  If it were me I'd want to make a standing TMNT, I think it would be way cool.  Just saying.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 6:36am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourLemonz 

Are there other ways to decorate the character pan cakes, other then using the horrible star tip? I hate the final look of those cakes...I would like to know how to make them look more "polished" (can't think of the correct word). I guess I am asking how to get away from that homemade look. Thanks!

In my opinion, the short answer is no.   I have been hobby baking for 3 years and the first thing I learned was don't use the character pans.  I have enough skills now to carve the shapes and do buttercream and/or fondant details.   Here's a link to the one character cake I've ever done. 

http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/267

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%