Refrigerating/wrapping

Decorating By novakern Updated 13 Jun 2013 , 3:17pm by Annie8

novakern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novakern Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 4:18am
post #1 of 5

Can someone tell me if what I'm doing makes sense. I'm always sure that a cake I make will be beautiful but taste and texture always feels like a crap shoot.

if I have a cake to deliver on a saturday I will make any fondant decorations as much in advance as possible.

on wed. I will start baking. When cake comes out of the oven I allow to cool completely after coming out of the pan, wrap in saran wrap and put in fridge. later that day (i have 3 young kids, usually have to do everything in spurts) I cut layers and brush syrup on each layer, immediately wrap and put in fridge. later I fill and stack and again put in fridge by this point only covered in a cake carrier.

thursday I make frosting, frost cake and shape if necessary. on friday I cover in fondant and finish decorating and put finished cake in fridge until delivery.

thanks for your time. i have a feeling i'm over using the fridge.

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:31am
post #2 of 5

As long as you aren't using perishable fillings, cake can remain at room temperature.

novakern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novakern Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 11:25am
post #3 of 5

is it a bad thing to be extra careful and refrigerate? I'm using strawberry filling and cream cheese icing. Its a yellow butter cake. I do the same process when making chocolate cakes as well.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 5

When using perishable fillings, refrigeration is required.

Similar to a/c, refrigeration sucks the moisture/humidity from the air which can dry out cake.

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 5

I am a fridge user, I admit it.  I bake my cakes, cool them, and then wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in the fridge for a minimum of one night.  Usually the next day (I am a hobby baker with a fulltime job so often decorate after work), I fill, frost, and decorate the cakes.  They area always moist.  I've yet to have a customer tell me their cake was dry.  It seems like the saran wrap helps keep them from drying out and then the frosting seals in the goodness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%